Introduction And Pics

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
sjgale
Just Arrived

Introduction And Pics

Post by sjgale »

Hello!

My name is Steve and I have actually been a member since 2013 with OHW and Wavy Glass. I have been wanting to post some photos and give some details of my place all that time so here goes!

My house was originally built in Steilacoom, Washington around 1861 as a small cottage and purchased in 1862 by John Latham who was the town "Druggist". (I guess a more modern description would be "pharmacist") The Latham family owned the house until 1901.

After that the house changed hands a few more times over the years and remained unaltered until 1929, when Dr. Martin C. Barber purchased the house. Dr. Barber relocated from Medford Oregon to live by his recently widowed daughter who had just purchased the house across the street. At that time the house went through a major renovation and addition. The main entry of the house was changed from the east side to the north side and the interior was brought up to 1930's standards. There is however one window from 1861 that survived and is in good shape. The doctor set up a practice in the rear section of the house and practiced medicine there until his death in 1937. I have been approached by a few people in town who remember coming to my house as children for doctor visits.

After that there were more owners and more changes made to the house. I bought the house in 2013 when it was about to be torn down after the latest owner had died his wife had moved to live with her children. The wife then sold the place to me because I promised to save the house and besides she really did not want to see the place torn down after living there for 50 years.

The house is still in very rough shape with paneling and drop tiled ceilings in almost every room. The foundation is a 50's block foundation but older back part of the house does not even have a foundation. Two thirds of the house are box constructed with no stud walls and as a result, all my new wiring runs in surface conduit in these areas. I have painted, rewired and done lots of other little things inside and out to fix this place up but it's going to be a long road ahead!

Here are some pics of the exterior and I will post up some interiors pics later...thanks for reading my story!
Attachments
The old east facing entry today...
The old east facing entry today...
District1908Today.jpg (467.16 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
District1861Side.jpg
District1861Side.jpg (491.2 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
District1861Rear.jpg
District1861Rear.jpg (395.83 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
DistrictGardenSide.jpg
DistrictGardenSide.jpg (467.82 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
DistrictSide.jpg
DistrictSide.jpg (397.56 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
The front entry today...
The front entry today...
DistrictAfter.jpg (563.68 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
The north facing entry the day I bought it.
The north facing entry the day I bought it.
DistrictBefore.jpg (595.37 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Picture of the old east facing entry before the 1929 remodel.
Picture of the old east facing entry before the 1929 remodel.
District1908.jpg (452.7 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Introduction And Pics

Post by SkipW »

Hi Steve, welcome to the District and thanks for the story. Sounds like the house had been through the wringer when it was fortunate enough to have you find it. Looks like you have really cleaned up the exterior and the plantings are lovely. Looking forward to pics of the interior!
Etta says "WOOF"

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey there Steve, welcome to the District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Love the pics, what a nice place!
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to the district Steve.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I agree with the others you have made the house very attractive---welcome too! Too bad the wrap around part of the porch was removed; that was also an attractive part of the original house. More pictures please! :thumbup:

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Very nice exterior! Keep us posted as to your projects - sounds like there will be many.
Diane

ratherhaverain
Just Arrived

Post by ratherhaverain »

Beautiful house in a beautiful town! Used to visit BIL there. Is the Dock Lunch at the ferry slip still in business?
Any idea what the Maypole looking thing in the last photo is?

sjgale
Just Arrived

Post by sjgale »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! Yes it's a shame the porch was removed during renovations. The covered porch is still present on the south side of the house however. Maybe it could be replaced someday, money and time willing. ratherhaverain, I don't believe that the Dock Lunch is still there...I live one block up from the ferry slip and that is one busy ferry! Not sure what the maypole thing is either. The lady in the photo is named Flora Harvey. Her and her husband Silas lived here from 1908 until 1912.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I believe the May pole looking thing is a trellis. They must of had a nice climbing some thing. I bet it would look spectacular in bloom.