Here's my house, again

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Midwesterner
Knows the area

Here's my house, again

Post by Midwesterner »

Hi, all. I posted a few pictures of my house over on OHW, but now that I've finally figured out how to post photos here, here I am again. My house was built by my ancestors in 1878 and has been in the family ever since. Now it's my turn.

I have photos all the way back — will see if I can dig one up. My house reminds me of Gothichome's house — it seems to have the same layout and basic theory.

The house is on a bit of land in the rural Midwest, with a barn, a woods and a pond. Not much has been changed — it has the original furniture and didn't have electricity or plumbing until 1947. The basics are solid but there is a ton of stuff to do, and as fast as I do it, new things pop up. Among the projects are: I want to put the original shutters back on — they are in a pile in the barn — but that means a lot of stripping of peeling lead paint. I want to put the front porch back on; it was ripped off in 1947. I need to paint and stabilize the barn. The house interior is beginning to peel in places and needs repainting from top to bottom. Air conditioning would be good. The kitchen needs new countertops because the old tile ones are all broken and decrepit.

What I have done: had one chimney lined and rebuilt (two to go); repaired and painted the eaves, soffits, and windowsills (a huge job); ripped out a lot of tired wall-to-wall carpet; re-enameled the bathtub; replaced a lot of falling-apart lamps; plumbed and installed a washer and dryer; painted the porch floor; installed modern locks; painted the radiators; replaced the water heater; fixed the cupola on the barn; had a mason deal with a problem with the foundation. Plus the million little things that came up along the way.

I've already learned a lot from you all, and look forward to learning more and seeing all your fine old houses.
Attachments
1892.jpeg
1892.jpeg (679.64 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
House 1.jpeg
House 1.jpeg (209.51 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Here's my house, again

Post by JacquieJet »

Oh my goodness! Welcome! How lucky to have a home with such a connection to your family for generations- what a gem! I can't wait to see and hear more about it!!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey Midwesterner, welcome to the District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Beautiful house you have there! :D
Mick...

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Wow, how cool would it be to have a family home that dates to 1878. Welcome and please, please, please post photos of the house and out buildings and land if you have them. I so wish I had the family home you have the fortune to inhabit for this period in it's life.
Etta says "WOOF"

Midwesterner
Knows the area

Post by Midwesterner »

Here are a few more pics — the pond, the house as seen from the back (it has an original wooden extension) with barn, and the staircase at Christmas. You will see that the paint has worn off the barn — that's up near the top of my enormous project list.
Attachments
stairs 1.jpeg
stairs 1.jpeg (762.78 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Pond.jpeg
Pond.jpeg (483.5 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Back.jpeg
Back.jpeg (431.04 KiB) Viewed 1446 times

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Beautiful!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow what a cool home and story. Glad its still in the family! Thats a very special feeling Im sure!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Midwesterner, I remember your home. It does have a lot of things in common with our home. Take that bay away and give it a Gothic roof pitch, it could sit right beside Gothichome and look like the same duilder. That pond sure looks like a mosquito farm. The pic from the barn side looks like it could be from a country living cover.

Midwesterner
Knows the area

Post by Midwesterner »

The pond is not too bad with mosquitoes because there are a lot of things in the pond (and in the air) that eat mosquitoes, I'm happy to say!

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome Midwesterner, :wave: Beautiful home in the perfect setting .

Susan