Hello from a newbie!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
aaronc23
Just Arrived

Hello from a newbie!

Post by aaronc23 »

Hello everyone!

I'm a student at a large Midwestern university and I currently live in an American Foursquare-style house (now a student Co-Op) built in 1916 just a few blocks from campus. Since we are a Co-Op, we technically don't have a landlord and subsequently have to take care of everything ourselves. After years of housing messy and rowdy college students, our house has become quite beat up. I was recently appointed as the maintenance guy for the house and I want to bring our home back to its former glory :)

Here's a link to some pics from the outside:
http://imgur.com/a/ot5sl

I plan on using this summer to get a lot of DIY work done, but I will definitely need some advice and tips along the way. Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello and that I'm super excited to join this community!

Gothichome

Re: Hello from a newbie!

Post by Gothichome »

Well good to have you. Not sure if that pic is a before but I think a lawn mower would be a good start. To restore, I believe is going to be one hell of a management nightmare. As a Co Op I'm pretty are every one has an equal vote as to major spending, that's were your vision will clash I'm affraid.

aaronc23
Just Arrived

Post by aaronc23 »

Thanks Gothichome! I actually took those two pics yesterday - our "yard" does need some work. We had an actual grass lawn several years ago but someone took it all out and replaced it with wood chips. We don't have a lawnmower unfortunately and most of the "weedy" plants are native prairie plants that a past resident of ours randomly spread throughout our property (hence no one wants to get rid of them). Therefore, I know exactly what you mean when you say restoring everything will be a management nightmare :doh:

For now, I just want to get some major interior work done. Hopefully everyone will be on board with that but we'll see...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well I wish you success, if you need help with the old house restoration stuff, we'll be more than happy to help. Oh, get rid of the prairie concept, the prairie has long bin paved over in your neighbourhood. Your neighbours with be eternally grateful.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Hello! Welcome!
Best of luck with it all!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Welcome to the district aaron! It's exciting to have an "Old House Youngster" amongst us :clap:

Love your house - looks like it has great potential! Visit often, ask all the questions you want or need. Many knowledgeable folks here with years of experience restoring these old beauties. We love pictures of old houses, please share more as your project begins.

I add my vote to nix the prairie landscape. It's distracting from that awesome old house.

I wish you and the co-op the best of luck finding common ground.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Don M

Post by Don M »

Here is another welcome; I think your house has a lot of potential. I agree with the others concerning your landscape. I am surprised that the city hasn't given notice that the yard needs cutting. Many towns have an ordinance that says either the homeowner cuts it or the city will & bill the home owner.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Welcome, Aaron! Good luck on your project, let us know how it's coming along!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Don M wrote:Here is another welcome; I think your house has a lot of potential. I agree with the others concerning your landscape. I am surprised that the city hasn't given notice that the yard needs cutting. Many towns have an ordinance that says either the homeowner cuts it or the city will & bill the home owner.

On which legal grounds can they interefere with someone's private property like that? That would be totally unthinkable in all European countries I think! In Austria the city usually gets active when pedestrians etc. are endangered, e.g. crumbling retaining walls or dead trees along the property line.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Usually the city's ordinance is in force to avoid vermin & unsightly appearance of the neighborhood. Sometimes the overgrowth is also a fire hazard.