Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Gothichome

Re: Newbie

Post by Gothichome »

What a great home, can't wait to see the interior. Looks to have been well cared for over the years. As you have already discovered, we have some pretty smart folks at sorting out styles, but I see it as a bit of a mix, mostly Queen Anne to my eye, remove the dormer over the corner and add a dome or steeply pitched roof and there you go, Queen Anne. Then a gain the facing wing looks more classical.

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Thank you!

MickVT - The yellowjacks love them - so many buzzing around! They (the trees) appear healthy though, so I think landscaping will be restricted to removing the weeds and junk trees that have inserted themselves.

Midwesterner - I love those windows too! Most however are in the process of falling apart, we're hoping to save them. There's alot that's been neglected over the years, as I know most of you have run into, but it seems most of the neglect has been relatively recent, like overdue painting and such.

Gothichome - Thanks for the insight! The house did a stint as a funeral home, and at one point, the second floor rooms were reconfigured into small apartments, with a shared central kitchen. We'll likely keep this even after we put in a kitchen on the first floor.

I'll be putting together a post of interior shots - mostly to get ideas and input from the community ;-)

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

What a beautiful house! Can't wait to see more! Buying a new/old home is such an adventure, isn't it?

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Damn newbie stole the avatar I was going to use so I'm hijacking her thread. Old house lady is known as "The "Empress" ...at least that is what I am allowed to call her. :D
I am Old house lady's worse half. We are excited to start bringing this old home back to its glory!

I am a commercial building inspector, thermographer...and yes home inspector to pay the bills. I'm a bit non politically correct so I don't tend to post much. Been lurking here since the boss found this forum. Seems like a great group of people and skilled craftsmen!
I look forward to reading and seeing the work everyone is doing to their beautiful homes! If per chance I offend anyone with my immature, sophomoric...OK idiotic sense of humor please let me know. I am damn near un-offendble.
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Beautiful old home! Welcome Newbie & Duffy 666 :wave:

Susan

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Ohhh dear... aren't you suppose to post pictures now that we officially own the home... I mean I spent 4 freaking hours in the crawlspace under the new (er) addition. Your slacking!

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

*You're*

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

:icon-rolleyes:

I guess that means YOU'RE going to finish removing the plaster from the back room tomorrow. :character-oldtimer:

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Newbie, what a beautiful house...the palladian window and the matching windows in the dormers are absolutely stunning. Welcome!
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Thank you Eperot!