Thought I would share some pics...

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
BrantR
Just Arrived

Thought I would share some pics...

Post by BrantR »

Some of you may remember me from OHW, but I have not been on here much. Haven't posted pictures in years so I thought I would share an album of all the progress I have made in the last nine years. The house was built in 1868 and had an addition or two as well as a major renovation in the 1890's. The house was split into three units around 1950 but done tastefully. Unfortunately, the PO decided to rip out most of the woodwork and simply destroy the home. I have talked to the PO's brother and he was appalled by his brothers actions. I have spent most of the nine years of ownership trying to convert the home back to the original floor plan and save what little was left. Most of the plaster downstairs was removed and replaced with a very thin plaster that was coming off in large chunks, and could be broken/cracked with the push of a finger. I hesitantly decided to remove it and am currently replacing it with veneer plaster. But not before a completely rewiring, plumbing and framing the home. My greatest achievement so far has been rebuilding the chimney. I almost gave up multiple times but convinced myself to go through with it and it turned out great, complete with lime mortar! If there is an old house project that can be thought of, I have probably done it!

http://imgur.com/a/lVnTE

http://imgur.com/a/VLGeU

http://imgur.com/a/fJD1I

Gothichome

Re: Thought I would share some pics...

Post by Gothichome »

Brant, just had a look at all your pics, you've been busy. It looks like the home once had a roof fire by the chimney, is this so? Nice work on the chimney by the way. I don't feel so bad comparing your's to ours.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow that's quite the project. Impressive and glad your home has someone like you to bring it back.

Oh on the chimney rebuild I can't help but notice it looked like the chimney was rebuilt with portland cement instead of lime mortar?!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Wow, I remember all your posts from OHW; you have done some amazing work since then! Congratulations & keep us updated.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

I am awed. Whole floors replaced, joist and all and I am chiding myself for whimping out on much easier tasks... You have convinced me. I need to work on my loose plaster once and for all.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

springmoon33
Knows the area

Post by springmoon33 »

It's amazing what you have done. Everytime I get discouraged I look at your pics. Please share more !

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Wow! Truly a labor of love!

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

I thought I was serious. Then I saw these pictures. Wow. Question: are you living in the house as this work takes place?
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Great work! I am so impressed with your persistence. It is a huge project.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?