1860 Folk Victorian.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lesnocker
Just Arrived

1860 Folk Victorian.

Post by Lesnocker »

New member! Great to see there is resources available to us caretakers. Lived here going on 10 years finally done with plaster and electrical. Now to the elephant in the room. Horriable bowing and crooked floors. She was built by courthouse records 1860/61. It's mortise and tenon built with pegs. Sits on a 2 ft stone foundation. Engineer reports it as in excellent condition with no water intrusion or any moving. Did say the North East corner sits 2" higher. Issue was the joists were run to far out plus being popular, oak,pine could be another issue. My question is.. I bottomed out a 10 ton jack getting the dining room floor slightly off bubble level. Supported by new posts. Kitchen we got close but a 2" drop over 36". Lucky it's in the cabinet location we can hide. Now to even the old floor to accept hardwood would 3/4 plywood average it out enough? Or would the added weight cause further issues? Thanks!
Attachments
IS5umj3oodjm5c0000000000.jpg
IS5umj3oodjm5c0000000000.jpg (17.94 KiB) Viewed 951 times

Mick_VT

Re: 1860 Folk Victorian.

Post by Mick_VT »

:wave: :wave: Hi Lesnocker, welcome to the District! :thumbup:
Mick...

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome to the District. Your house is very nice. :) I don't have any answers for you but we love pictures.

Susan

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Let me add my welcome to the welcome wagon. I'm not sure exactly what your thinking with the plywood subfloor though.

Lesnocker
Just Arrived

Post by Lesnocker »

The existing subfloors are 10" pine. No one get excited. They are totally ruined with ugly paths worn into the wood. Then years of HVAC and electrical systems chopped them up pretty bad.

They are lumpy. Got the joists almost bubble level. Was thinking of useing a layer of tounge and groove plywood to 1. Remove the bounce in the floor. 2. To make a even level surface to use a scraped laminate. If that makes better sense.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, sure 3/4 should work fine as a foundation for flooring. You mention you have some bounce in your floor. Might I suggest a closer look at your joists. If you have a problem there causing a noticeable bounce, you just might be covering a bigger problem.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

might be able to add some cross bridging, like this ?

http://ancestralpile.blogspot.ca/2006/0 ... acing.html

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbup: Nice looking home! Welcome