So Excited!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Mick_VT

Re: So Excited!

Post by Mick_VT »

Christy wrote:I'm so excited for you! I just found this site today, and am really looking forward to all the pics and information. It's a BEAUTIFUL house, and I know you will enjoy it!

Welcome Christy! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Beautiful house! I know all about the "house is in great shape so how do I have so many projects" reality. I'm very excited for you. :)

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Sorry it's been so long. Ended up going to NY to take care of my mom after surgery and got home just in time to move! Thank you all for the kind words. I am excited beyond belief to be in this house. The house has such an aura of peace to it.

Got to love old houses! We have one window air conditioner going during this heat wave, and the house is staying cool. Those 14" brick walls are doing their job in keeping the heat and humidity out.

The gardens here are amazing! Besides the flower gardens, there are 4 vegetable gardens! Our new neighbors love us because they are benefiting from our "bounty". Way more vegetables than we can eat, freeze or can.

I absolutely love this house. The mantles, baseboards, chair rail, etc are all cherry...under several coats of white paint. I see a lot of stripping in our future! The floors are ash, and in excellent condition. This house was well cared for. Everything is really in good shape considering that the house is 195 yrs old.

AND...we had our first "ghostly experience"!! Well, Mike did. I slept through it. He woke up hearing whispering, then giggling. He thought maybe the TV was on downstairs but went out in the hallway and checked. Got back in bed, and heard it again. Whispering, then giggles. That's when he realized it was coming from IN the room. Not downstairs, not outside, in the room. Surprisingly enough, it didn't scare him. He simply told them to "knock it off" and it stopped. He said he thought it sounded like two little girls. (Two little girls and one little boy did die in the house, all in a three week period in 1834)

Going to post some garden pics then will start taking pics of the house now that the majority of boxes are gone!
Attachments
0714161810a.jpg
0714161810a.jpg (497.19 KiB) Viewed 763 times
0714161808c.jpg
0714161808c.jpg (896.63 KiB) Viewed 763 times
0714161810c.jpg
0714161810c.jpg (914.92 KiB) Viewed 763 times
0714161806c.jpg
0714161806c.jpg (854.06 KiB) Viewed 763 times
0714161806a.jpg
0714161806a.jpg (883.47 KiB) Viewed 763 times
0714161806.jpg
0714161806.jpg (938.52 KiB) Viewed 763 times
0714161805.jpg
0714161805.jpg (903.55 KiB) Viewed 763 times

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Gorgeous house and grounds! Looking forward to your updates.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well Deb, seems I failed to welcome you to the district, so, welcome the the neighbourhood. You home is very grand and the gardens look to be self perpetuating. The gate looks like a gate to some secrete place were only the brave explorer would go. What is the long term plan for the gardens?

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

The gate actually leads to the funeral home behind us...lol. I guess you'd be right in saying it's a place that only the brave explorer would go!!

We haven't given much thought to the perennial gardens, but I do know that we won't be replanting all four vegetable gardens. Right now, there are over 60 tomato plants in the various gardens, 11 varieties. Won't be replanting that many next year!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Deb wrote:We haven't given much thought to the perennial gardens, but I do know that we won't be replanting all four vegetable gardens. Right now, there are over 60 tomato plants in the various gardens, 11 varieties. Won't be replanting that many next year!

It was nice of the former owners to plant all those veggies knowing they were leaving!

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Yes, it was very nice of them!! They also left several antiques, and everything they've found through the years in and around the house. Old bottles, pictures, an ancient bible, books, letters, etc. We dug around in the crawl space where they used to hide the slaves, and so far have found an ancient suitcase and a spade. Can't wait to really get in there and look around!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Hi Deb, I too am a little late welcoming people here, not having been here for awhile, and I enjoyed the part where your SO gets that message to buy your beautiful and historic home. Sounds familiar. I also enjoy the ghost stories. I found out that over time 3 people died in my house, no ghosts yet.

I did the same thing in the backyard of my old Fort Lauderdale home with the gardens, walkways and ponds with waterfalls, an oasis within a noisy area. The new investors got rid of all of it and after a major interior remodel and almost two years that house is still unsold. Amateurs.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy!
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House