So Excited!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Deb
Knows the back streets

Re: So Excited!

Post by Deb »

Thank you Don! I am looking forward to sharing my excitement with people who "get it." The house I'm in now is what my friends consider a "dream house." Open concept, gourmet kitchen, huge rooms, etc. I hate it. It's a house. My new old house will be a home!

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Thank you Wacky!! I may look into reenactment! I've been to a few and find them fascinating. And thank you for the link! I've found a lot of info online about the house, but that's a new one for me! I was told that the historical society has tons of info and displays about the house and family. I feel like I'm getting ready for the adventure of a lifetime!

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Keep us up to date on EVERYTHING!! That includes if you acquire some ghosties with the place. We get into ghost threads on here... there are a number of us who have had "things" happen around the house. (but they never seem to pick up a hammer and help).

I am sincere and serious about finding you people to meet up with. I moderate at a Face book Page called "The Civilian Civil War Closet" it started out as a place to sell clothing and talk about stuff but has morphed into a huge forum that explores all things Civilian.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Funny you should mention ghosts....My last house had one. I'll have to write out the story one day! As for the new house, something funny happened when we first looked at it. My SO isn't into ghosts at all. He doesn't even like talking about them. He isn't really into old houses either, but he went to look at the house because I wanted to see it so badly.

On the way home, after going to see the house, he turned to me and said "I think this is our house. When I walked upstairs, something came over me, almost a paternal feeling, like this house needed me. I know that sounds weird, but that's how I felt." He told me that he never had anything come over him like that, and he was even shocked by the fact that he felt it was the right house for us.

What he doesn't know, yet, is that in 1834 the Thompson's lost 3 children, ages 4,3 and 1, in less than a month. I wonder if it was their spirits that he felt?

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Deb wrote:What he doesn't know, yet, is that in 1834 the Thompson's lost 3 children, ages 4,3 and 1, in less than a month. I wonder if it was their spirits that he felt?

:-o
If he's not into that sort of thing.. maybe you shouldn't tell him for a while.

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Sara wrote:
Deb wrote:What he doesn't know, yet, is that in 1834 the Thompson's lost 3 children, ages 4,3 and 1, in less than a month. I wonder if it was their spirits that he felt?

:-o
If he's not into that sort of thing.. maybe you shouldn't tell him for a while.

I'll wait until we hear the first "bump in the night"!!

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi Deb,

Very glad to hear you're also thoroughly enjoying your old home experience! It's great to see your enthusiasm. I look forward to seeing more pics, and hearing what you guys are up to with your place. I have a Civil War era house with a history, too - exciting, isn't it??
Enjoy, and keep track of any 'bumps in the night', we'd love to hear about 'em! :)
My house

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Deb....it's funny because I felt the same thing when I first saw my house. Something just felt so right, like this was meant to be my HOME! It was the first house I looked at & I had my agent start the offer process that day!!

I have ghosties too, but they like me!! I've felt their presence in such a warm, loving way. Almost like they protect me & care for me, like I care for their home.
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

You've got yourself a nice house there. It's interesting because the house is late Federal and there are some updates from the Colonial Revival era of the early 20th Century (you have to look for them to see them). Nearly a century after its construction, very similar architectural elements came back into style.

Christy
Just Arrived

Post by Christy »

I'm so excited for you! I just found this site today, and am really looking forward to all the pics and information. It's a BEAUTIFUL house, and I know you will enjoy it!