Happy to find this Forum

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: Happy to find this Forum

Post by Don M »

Sounds like our farm!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

There's definitely a strong alpine influence in the exterior design, especially the dark shingles and very low-pitched gable roof (easier to push heavy snow loads off, in the alps you'd actually have to get up there and shovel)!

Obviously the windows are too large for a cold and windy climate and the roof fells a bit leightweight but other than that the style is relatively pure. Reminds me of what rich city folks had built in Bavaria, Austria and northern Italy in the early 20th century.

DoorKnob
Just Arrived

Post by DoorKnob »

I have an update 3 months later. We were not able to get an appraisal high enough to work with a mortgage, so we had to walk away. We heard through the grapevine that the owners received a cash offer, so we assumed it wasn't meant to be.

The next thing we know, the owners contacted us and said that they had declined the cash offer. They really believe we are the right family for the house and they trust us to maintain and improve it with the greatest respect for what this house was originally intended to be. They decided to lease it to us at a reduced rate until the time when some houses in the area sell and we can have it reappraised and at that point, we will buy it at the price we agreed upon in the spring.

I'm beyond thrilled. We get the keys July 1st. I'm still in Texas and have actually never been in the house. I couldn't take the chance of falling in love with it until I knew we were getting it.

I can't wait for that first moment of turning the key and stepping inside for the first time.

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's great news :clap:
Congratulations!

DoorKnob
Just Arrived

Post by DoorKnob »

Thank you!

This is a house for sale on the same street.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/829-C ... 7856_zpid/

I suspect these sellers will have the same issues with appraisals, but if it sells anywhere near asking price, it would be a good comp for our house.

I love the kitchen in this neighboring house. I love the sink. I love the counters. I love the floor. I love the cabinets.

I may go make friends with the owners. I'd probably love them too. Anyone who has a kitchen like that can't be half bad.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I agree, there is a lot to like about that house! Hopefully it will sell at or above asking price.

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Wow, lovely home and so unusual! Hopefully it will all work out in the long run.