Circa 1884 McCusiton House--New Site Looks Great!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Circa 1884 McCusiton House--New Site Looks Great!

Post by SouthernLady »

Ah, the fresh smell of spam-free forum... :D

So happy to be here!

Just a quick update regarding the "My Personal Tara" thread that lurks somehwere in here I reckon--I have had several long and informative chats with the great-granddaughter of the man who built my home, and through that I have discovered some really neat information about the house, such as confirming my pear tree is well over 100 years old. I think it's a keiffer pear.

I know some of us on here are still trying to get information on their homes, and I hope I can somehow be a help to some of you. I went through an rather unusual method on getting in touch with the descendants and it has finally proven extremely beneficial on the restoration. I am going to do a different thread on that and post the link here later on.

If all goes according to plan, one (or both) of the great-granddaughters and a great-great-granddaughter will be visiting the McCuiston House in October, bringing me copies of original photographs of the house before their great-aunt did the 1920s renovation. I am super excited!!
Last edited by SouthernLady on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick_VT

Re: Circa 1884 McCusiton House--New Site Looks Great!

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome southernLady, great to have you here in the District. I cant wait to read that post - totally intrigued :D !
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow that sounds really, really exciting! Keep us posted!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Hi, I would like to see the pictures, I am always fascinated by historic photos and stories.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

isn't that fantastic that the g-g-gds are interested in sharing old photos and stories about your house...gives me butterflies just to think about it...look forward to hearing about it....
...jade

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Posting some pictures of the McCuiston House for those who haven't already seen them. I haven't done much work inside the house this summer as I have been focusing on the outside while the weather allows. I have finally completed almost all of the major outdoor projects. I still have about 1/2 the large wood pool fence to stain (not period, of course, but trying to do it in natural colors so it blends with the Victorian part of the house as best as possible). I have completed the deck on the 1940s (?) closed-in connector part of the house and still need to paint the lattice that fences off the cellar stairs.

My story: I had been home searching for about a year or so, with my heart set on an old house. I go into more detail about this on my blog, so feel free to check it out. Anyway, I was getting pretty discouraged with the whole process. One day, my friends and I noticed a realtor showing this massive hot mess. We pulled in the driveway and asked if we could go in to see inside the place. I tell you, it was a mess. Critters had moved in, pieces of wall coverings were hainging from the ceiling, and it smelled like something had died in the place (it probably had...). A terrible leak had formed in the dining section ceiling of the kitchen wing. I mean terrible. I called it "mini Niagara".

Here is the house at the time of abandonment:

Just imagine it like this, all sides of the house. It had sat abandoned for about two years due to a forclosure situation. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

My friend--bless his wonderful soul--got the crazy notion to buy the house, fix it up, and resell it. He saw the potential and had the means to get it started. So, he started calling contractor friends and I started digging into the history of the property and the proper techniques to use to restore the house to the point a bank would allow someone to buy it with a mortgage. He got the house for a song (he can sell ice to an eskimo), and our contractor friends got to work.

Mismatched plastic shutters immediately had to go, as did the poison ivy, English ivy, and wisteria that had taken over the house and property. The aluminum siding was pressure washed and spray painted a clean white, a new roof was put on (we picked architectural shingles in green, but looking back now we should have picked the ones that look like shakes... Tin was the original pick but the contractor said there were "too many valleys" in the roofline to install and keep from leaking... :( The six columns on the 1920s/'30s porch remodel were completely rotted out and had no choice but to go (twas a miracle the porch still stood). The contractor then suggested all of the old windows needed to be replaced with vinyl. It was then that I, as the "consult for historical restoration" got the closest my Southern lady self has ever come to cussin' a soul out. Unashamedly and in front of my pastor himself, I told the contractor that Hell itself would freeze over and I would personally be there selling ice cream before I would allow him to touch a single window in the place.

The windows stayed without argument.

The walls in the downstairs bedroom were so badly damaged they had to be torn out to the studs, which allowed for insulation to be put in. It also allowed me to win the bet that the original siding was still in place behind the aluminum. Boo-ya, don't mess with the gut instincts of a farmgirl granddaughter of a old-skill carpenter! ;)

As soon as it was repaired to the point a bank would be happy, my friend graciously offered to sell the house to me, and after a short period of it being rented out to a family member in need, I was able to buy it and call her home. After that point, all of the work in and around the home has been done by myself or with the aid of my parents.

Bedroom before

Bedroom during--Note the wallpaper fragments over the far-right door. That is the original wallpaper to this room! I tried to save it, but it literally crumbled in my hands. During this process, some of the guys had to work very hard to properly destroy all of the original woodwork in this room. Yep. I came in one morning, told the guys to be sure to use extreme caution when removing the woodwork (I started to do it myself but I had to be at work and figured they were capable), and when I came by at lunch with my friend who had bought the place, I asked them where the woodwork was. They stopped looking me in the eye (bless their hearts...), and one of them said it was going to be easier to just put new stuff up. Lord have mercy, so help me I stood in the middle of that dust-filled room in my heels and pearls, pulled every stitch of tomboy-farmgirl-redneck in my soul and blessed the dang crap out of those young idiots. Fortunately, the head guy came in to see their work, overheard me blessing them out, and when I left to go outside to cool off he finished by saying to them the words I would not say because I am a lady (although believe you me I was sure thinking them...). Since then, I have discovered that all of the "publically viewable" woodwork in the house has faux bois wood graining on it, so I am sure I am going to have one stinkin' time trying to replicate it on their new moldings... idiots.

Ugh... just look a that pine........

Bedroom pretty much as it is now, with the exception of the pair of period curtain tiebacks I have put in. Primer is still on the walls until I find the right wallpaper to go up. I also have to strip the woodwork, find an appropriate ceiling fixture, and tear out the drywall ceiling to restore the original beadboard that is behind it. I also hope to make period-correct curtains based on the old styles in a 1870s catalog my grandmother found in the loft of their old cabin.

The parlor, before and now:

Still need to rip out drywall ceiling (original beadboard ceiling seems to be intact with the original two shades of green paint and some sort of gold pinstripe detail), find a period-correct ceiling light, find another Bradley & Hubbard sconce, and strip and restore the faux bois woodwork. Fireplace also needs to be lined and the firebox restored to be used again. The room with the Christmas tree used to be part of the original L-shape porch. It was enclosed around the time of the 1920s remodel by the builder's daughter. It is my hope to restore the porch, but I do like this little room so I hope to come up with a way to honor the original design while keeping this little nook.

Oh, and the contractor guys also managed to "lose" the original slide bolt locks on the French doors. I threw another hissy fit at them over it.

All furniture is from the 1850s-1880s, except for the Kimball reproduction tables and side chairs. Portrait is a wonderful reproduction of Portrait of a Southern Lady by Daniel Huntington (American artist, 1816-1906), one of my favorites. I haven't found the right one yet for the opposite side of the room.

My dog has a funny habit of running to the center of the picture and posing when she hears my camera click. I don't know what she thinks I am doing, but she always has to pose... little rascal.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

According to the family (whom I tracked down through an interesting process... As promised, I will start another thread on how I was able to track down the family), John McCuiston had been living with his brother and family just about a mile down the road (that house also still stands, 1870s farmhouse). Eventually, he met a lady and wanted to get married, but he did not want to continue living with his brother. He wanted to start out in his own home, so based on the fact that he married in September of 1884, I have placed my house's construction in this year. He and his brother continued to operate the tobacco and dairy farm together. According to lifelong residents in our little commuity, it was one of the largest farms in the area and the most well-kept house in the neighborhood. To the best of my memory, they had seven children born in this house--six sons and one daughter. Two of the sons became doctors and the daughter became a nurse. One of the doctors died not long after marrying, in the area of Wilmington, and it seems due to some sort of epidemic. The other doctor moved to a rural community in Virginia and lived to a very old age, passing as the beloved small-town doctor.

The daughter, Lettie, married in her mid-30s. She and her husband never had children, and after her mother died, it seems they moved in the house to care for her father. According to her great-great niece, she remodeled the house in the '20s, raising the single-story porch to one on a Mt. Vernon style, screened in the room off the French doors, as well as changing the wallpaper (which she did a lot I understand). She may have changed the doorknobs at this time, but I have yet to confirm this as well.

Lettie's father passed away (seemingly in the house) after a long illness, and she and her husband took to running the farm. Her uncle and father had split the farm when the county line was moved, so they continued to operate with mostly the tobacco side as well as some dairy and beef cows. My neighbor across the street remembers them well, and said Lettie's husband was very fond and proud of his cows.

Her husband eventually passed as well, and Lettie suffered from an illness for an extended period of time. Her niece took care of her, so at her death she bequeathed the house and property to her. If I remember correctly, she had a home just two or three houses down the road and had no interest in moving, so she sold the house and farm to her daughter for something like $5. The daughter had been born in the house (what is becoming my library), and the whole family had a lot of ties to the place. She raised her two daughters here, and one of them inhereted the house and likewise raised her two daugthers here. That's five generations brought up under this roof of mine.

At some point, the farm was sold off due to not being able to keep it going. Sadly, that was the way with my family's farm and many others in our area. The communinty seems to have always thought highly of the McCuiston/Clinard/Shaw/Carlson family (remember, the house had been passed down solely through the women), and they were sorry to see the farm sold. In fact, to this day when people in the small town ask where I live and I tell them, I start getting far-away looks that bring about stories of tobacco primings that ended with a large dinner-on-the-ground style supper, ice cream socials, BBQs, Christmas get-togethers, porch sittings--and stories of how kind and hospitable the family was. Everyone I have met thus far who has lived here for a large amount of their lives have some sort of personal connection with the house, whether it was a meal, a get-together, or helping out in the fields.

This past summer, I had been able to get the restoration to a point of being able to host my own get-togther. Some of my cousins and I started reminiscing about the yearly family reunions we had as kids, and how our parents always talked about the get-togethers on our great-grandmother's farm. The family was so large they had to eat in shifts in the old 1910s farmhouse--menfolk first, then the children, and then the women would chase everybody out in the yard and eat in peace! :D My grandmother turns 80 soon, and her brothers and sisters are not in the best of health, so I said enough of the talk, it's time to do something about it. With only about a month's notice, around 60 of the 120-some in my family descended on the McCuiston House for one of those old dinner-on-the-ground suppers. Two of my great aunts were literally moved to tears at the family being together at an old farmhouse again. It was crowded and we ate outside in the Southern humidity, but everyone said it was the best family get-together held since the days of my great-grandmother doing it. I have been volunteered to hold it again next summer, and this time all of the 120 are planning to come. :shock:

I shared the pictures on my Facebook page and didn't think any more about it. After coming into contact with one of the fouth-generation that lived in my home, we "friended" each other on FB and she saw the pictures. She sent me a PM stating that when she saw the pictures she was moved to tears of joy because her ancestorial home was being used as it always had been--a place for family, friends, and love.

When she told me that, I couldn't help but think of all of us here on this site. By saving and restoring our historic homes, not only are we preserving a part of history, but we are also preserving a part of someone's story. Our homes aren't just brick, stone, wood, and glass--they have also been filled with laughter, joy, sorrow, tears--witnesses to events lost to the ages--but with every coat of paint, every scrape of the putty knife, every splinter, blister, cut, and bruise (and even instances of trips to the ER.... :oops: ), we are giving honor to those before us who lived where we now live and loved the home we now love.

I know it's getting late and I am very tired which is probably aiding to my sappiness in this post. If you have gotten this far in my ramblings, my apologies to you for taking up so much of your time!

I really can't think of anything quite like preserving our past for our future.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I love this post and tale SouthernLady, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

I really love your house too, looking ofrward to updates on the ceilings and the siding removal. :popcorn:
Mick...

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

And this is what it's all about!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yep, glad to see you here Southern Lady; welcome. I'm glad to see you held a super family reunion this summer. Don