1916 Bungalow

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Sara
Been here a while

Re: 1916 Bungalow

Post by Sara »

Congratulations! Can't wait to see more photos!

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

After a WHOLE lot of twists, turns, complications, and drama, I am happy to share that we closed on the house today! Here are some "before" photos in all their shabby glory.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (850.63 KiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 857 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (794.48 KiB) Viewed 857 times

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

And more before photos!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 856 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (727.63 KiB) Viewed 856 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 856 times

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Wow! Congrats! I LOVE that long kitchen sink- very cool!!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mkiehn, well that's great news. It's yours, red, blue and yellow paint, all yours. :problem: we have a few folks hear who given a chance would commit a minor offence to get that kitchen sink, he'll I know of a certain upper management who would scheme and cheat for that sink. You have plastic marble wall tiles, I recognize them early, 1960's vintage, Gothichome has the same tiles. The sink in the bathroom is about the same vintage, maybe even earlier. Overall looks like the home can be drought back with nothing more than a change in paint schemes. Noticed that window shaker mounted in the wall beside the he fireplace, seems a bit odd. Any chance you here is a window covered over, maybe another on the other side to balance out the room. Once again congrats on your new home.

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

Thanks, JacquieJet and Gothichome! I was completely smitten by that double drainbord sink the first time we walked into the kitchen! The house truly has great bones, but has had some unfortunate "upgrades" done over the years...like the neon ninja turtle kids' room. Yikes! There are two window a/c units installed through the walls, as Gothic pointed out. Eventually we plan to remove them and put in one of those Mitsubishi ductless systems. That's down the road, though.

Gothic: as much as I would love having windows on either side of the fireplace, at this point I haven't found any evidence that points to that. I think the a/c was simply installed through the wall in that location! :crazy:

PS: one of my favorite features that I forgot to take a picture of is the built-in pie safe on the back porch!

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Dont understand why bank couldn't have just had you combine all the meters into one. Not like it HAS to have three meters forever and ever, til the end of time, is it?? I don't understand banks at all - my experience was my bank was willing to overlook a whole host of violations including the seller's 3 illegal bedrooms in the basement.

What everyone else said about that sink - those big ones are hard to come by - as is reflected in the price if you ever see them in salvage yard.

Anyway - welcome - great house - looks like in pretty good shape, just needs something simple like paint and refinishing. Have fun!

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

The bright, shiny paint colors are a little traumatizing - but I'll take bad paint over a rotten roof or bad furnace any day.

I think this house is very good. As others have said, the sink is spectacular. The layout and overall condition looks fine.

I'm green with envy, but I can't wait to see how this evolves, improves.

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

Here's another shot of the dining room. When the house was converted into units, they turned the beautiful dining room into a kitchen. The 70's cabinets are still there. We need to remove them and the tiles, fix the wall, and do something about the floor. We sent off a sample of the vinyl today to check for asbestos. I am praying to all gods that it comes back clean...I want those gorgeous hardwoods back!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 806 times

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

We've been peeling back the layers and found some really neat wallpaper patterns.

The oldest paper in the living room is gold with white sprays. It was laid over the original painted walls.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 784 times

The "ninja turtle room" had layer after painted-over layer. I thought I hit the last one when I found this mauve paper with big white flowers:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (965.77 KiB) Viewed 784 times

Surprise! There was another layer hiding underneath it! The original paper, ca. 1916, is a blue-grey toile featuring European coastal villas and flowering trees. It's very pretty.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (820.47 KiB) Viewed 784 times

I love playing old house archaeologist!