Circa 1920 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1926 (?) Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by lovesickest »

I am late to offer my condolences, Nicholas. I am very saddened to read of your wife's passing.

Vala

Post by Vala »

My condolences as well Nicholas. I have been busy lately and not had much time to get on here.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Gothichome wrote:Nicholas, what ever happened with that inquiry to by the side lot from the church?

Still waiting and watching, purchasing that lot will be the only reason I would put an equity line on this house, or as someone said, use a credit card. The lot is worth between 15 to 20k.

lovesickest wrote:I am late to offer my condolences, Nicholas. I am very saddened to read of your wife's passing.

Vala wrote:My condolences as well Nicholas. I have been busy lately and not had much time to get on here.

Thanks, tomorrow will be 4 months and time and counseling help heals, as well as keeping busy, like:

Researching this home. I have changed the title to read 1927. That is because I uncovered the transfer of deed to the grandmother in January of 1927, "for ten dollars and other valuable considerations".

Like I said, the woman who would know that visited me said she was not sure if the house was here or if it was built.

Now I have to go back to the county, look up these names, and see if tax rolls will show a jump in assessed value indicating a house on the property. I still think its older.

This is so time consuming looking at handwritten microfilm images, that when I uncovered the deed, I didn't care that I got a parking ticket at the expired meter. Next time I will use the parking garage.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Nicholas wrote:Still waiting and watching, purchasing that lot will be the only reason I would put an equity line on this house, or as someone said, use a credit card. The lot is worth between 15 to 20k.

The (appraised at) $15k lot next to me came available, I was ready to buy - the owner approached me knowing I was interested and said "you can have it for $45k!" I respectfully declined and he listed it at $65k. Needless to say he isnt getting many bites. Annoyingly he is trying to sell it as a building lot, but fortunately for me its not that visible from my place
Mick...

Don M

Re: 1927 (?) Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by Don M »

It's only worth what someone will pay!

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The tax appraised value on this lot is 11k. I would like to offer a fair market value, with a cash bid to offset realtor fees. I would start at 15k, seeing that the fifth of an acre across the street sold for that. It is one third acre on a slope with water on it, (behind that outcrop of trees) I was told there is a natural spring there.

The view from my house, the posts holding up the barn overhang on the right are on the property line:
Attachments
SAM_3309.JPG
SAM_3309.JPG (188.78 KiB) Viewed 662 times

- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Don M

Post by Don M »

Is it even a buildable lot? If it is not the value goes way down. My SIL had a piece of property like that which she gave to the abutting property owner just to get rid of the property taxes.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Don M wrote:Is it even a buildable lot? If it is not the value goes way down. My SIL had a piece of property like that which she gave to the abutting property owner just to get rid of the property taxes.

It could be buildable, but people here in the hood say it would take a lot to make it happen. The church in back of me owns it and they don't pay taxes, just maintenance mowing.

- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Nicolas, I too, am so sorry to hear about your wife. Please know, that in time it does get easier. When my husband died, working on my house, and researching the history of it, became my "therapy". Keeping busy really help me get through it all.

I am a firm believer that we don't just pick a house, the house also picks us. I think that's why you woke at 3:00 am with the house on your mind!

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Deb wrote:Nicolas, I too, am so sorry to hear about your wife. Please know, that in time it does get easier. When my husband died, working on my house, and researching the history of it, became my "therapy". Keeping busy really help me get through it all.

I am a firm believer that we don't just pick a house, the house also picks us. I think that's why you woke at 3:00 am with the house on your mind!

Thanks Deb, I really do think it was some kind of intervention and a series of events that led us to this. Although my wife was not quite on board with this at first, she too was very happy for the decision and the finished outcome.

- local resident

The BumbleBee House