Circa 1920 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Circa 1920 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

Post by Nicholas »

Greetings, glad to be in The Historic District.

It was less than a year ago, that I woke up at 3 am in the morning, in our rented house in Fort Lauderdale, thinking about a house that was 300 miles away, and that to me, having been built in 1941 according to tax records, was not old enough.

This house, that we looked at about a month earlier, with its third of an acre lot, and the antiquated looking barn, decided to pass on to see what else was available, and the next day became a pending sale.

This house, that was a FannieMae homepath foreclosure, that over a month later came back on the market, because Fannie did not want to be in the mortgage business and wanted cash.

The house that I drove 300 miles the next day to look at again, and still unsure, told the realtor, after I drove back the 300 miles to our rented house, it was not quite for us.

before.jpg
before.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

Yes, it was this sad looking house, with the junky awning jalousie windows, the bathroom that was tilted, the yellow warning tape across the front because of a bee infestation in the porch, that woke me up at 3 am in the middle of my sleep, that somehow was telling me a different and interesting story.

So the next day, I told my wife, convinced her, that we should make an offer on this house.

And it has been a labor of love ever since, because after we put the offer in, we found out the true age of the house. It dates anywhere from 1916, but no later than 1924.

The labor is finally just about finished, but the history, research, and the love, continues. Please click on The BumbleBee House below for more details.

after.jpg
after.jpg (234.41 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Neighmond

Re: 1915 Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by Neighmond »

Such a house! It looks so comfy!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oh what a sweet and lovely story...such a lucky house and what a transformation! must be wonderfully satisfying to look at 'before' and 'after' photos...folks who live nearby much be so appreciative of what you've done....
...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome Nicholas. Of course we all know that's not an up to date after shot as it doesnt have your awesome hideaway for the A/C :D
Mick...

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yes that was attempt #1 with the old AC. Guess it's time for the updated pic. :D

- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oh..and thanks Heartwood and Neighmond,

Jade, Neighbors that I had met and some I didn't even know were walking by and complimenting me on it. From inside the house, I saw a city work truck stop one time, and the driver was pointing to the house and saying something to her co workers.

But the strangest thing was when a silver SUV drove slowly by, stopped, and the driver held up his phone and snapped a picture!

Even a week ago I saw a couple walking by, looking pointing and talking.

I had no idea it would generate so much interest, I am both humbled and stoked.

- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1926 Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by Wackyshack »

That house is drop dead cute!!! The snapping of a photo in a drive by is equal to a little old lady pinching the cheek of an adorable child! :)
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

mjt

Re: 1926 Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by mjt »

Great work! It's obvious that she's now loved and cared for.

Nicholas

Re: 1926 (?) Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by Nicholas »

Well, something very major has happened in my life which is the reason why I haven't been on here or even peeked.

My wife fell ill with stage 4 lung cancer, and 3 weeks later she passed away. This all happened within the month of March.

Our empty nest that we had just put the finishing touches on is now an empty house. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here but I can't begin to tell you how much this sucks. But, she did tell me that she wanted me to "keep and enjoy our BumbleBee House", and for my three daughters sake, that is what I am doing.

So, in peeking in, I saw that my intro post was bumped, and here I am.

The reason I have added the question mark next to the 1926 is because once again, there is a question about the age of the home. I finally met one of the women, who was born in the house in 1936, who gave me some interesting details and memories of the home, and she is not sure if her grandmother bought, or built the home. She and others that had fond memories visited me a couple days ago.

If bought, the home should be older, and here is what she told me:

That aqua green tub was not the original, and has no idea where that came from, originally the bathroom had a clawfoot tub, and that both bedrooms opened into the bath, there was never a main door into the bath.

They, this family of 11, all living in 2 bedrooms, used the outhouse and chamber pots up to the mid 40's, or while she was in grade school. The opening between the living and dining room was once a wall with a fireplace, and when she was a young girl they removed it and added a wood burning stove instead.

She showed me the positions of where the beds were, and told me that the front porch expansion of the bedroom was also done in the 40's, and that she as a little girl helped.

What I thought was an addition at the rear of the home is actually part of the original home. The office I am now typing this in, was actually a back porch, the other half was a very small kitchen.

So, now I find out, that the bathroom was always there, with a clawfoot, and that this was common for a home with an outhouse.

Now I need to start researching again, to find out if the house was bought in the 20's, and if so, when it was actually built.

When leaving, the woman hugged me and told me that she was sure my wife would want me to enjoy the house. So, that is what I am trying to do, and now I have a mission, as I am going to start researching again.

Thanks for visiting our BumbleBee House. :wave:
Attachments
SAM_3304.JPG
SAM_3304.JPG (224.66 KiB) Viewed 982 times
SAM_3303.JPG
SAM_3303.JPG (232.55 KiB) Viewed 982 times
SAM_3297.JPG
SAM_3297.JPG (174.32 KiB) Viewed 982 times

- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Gothichome

Re: 1926 (?) Frame Vernacular Cottage

Post by Gothichome »

Nicholas, truly sorry to hear of the passing of your wife. Your home is an enduring legacy of your relationship.