Hello from Philadelphia!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Big Blue
Settling in

Re: Hello from Philadelphia!

Post by Big Blue »

And, of course, or Gate Lion! Love him, one of my favorite features! :-)

OurGateLion.JPG
OurGateLion.JPG (809.67 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Greenhouse pictures later on.... have to get some work done!
Last edited by Big Blue on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Big Blue, a fine home. The new pre 1900 date I think matches the door style better I think than the 1925 date. I see a bit of Eastlake styling in that door. Your new build date would put it at the end of that style period. Your pic of the green house has me thinking the eave trough is pitched the wrong way, maybe just the pic.

Big Blue
Settling in

Post by Big Blue »

No, That is not the greenhouse. That is some type of porch that had a screened in area added underneath at some point after 1985. And yes, there are more than a few things wrong with it. Lol! :-)
This is that area from the other side: (excuse the mess in all these pictures, and poor quality. Many were taken in a rush and most before we moved in with lots of the past owners items still around.)

IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 776 times

This is the greenhouse:

IMG_3334GreenhousefromSecondFloor.JPG
IMG_3334GreenhousefromSecondFloor.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_4576garden.JPG
IMG_4576garden.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_3237FrontSideofGreenhouse.JPG
IMG_3237FrontSideofGreenhouse.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3214.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 776 times

IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3222.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 776 times

We think it may have been built in three sections. The back square with the offset roof line has a poured concrete floor. the longer area with the crank and the sloped roof only has a brick floor, and the very last portion towards the front seems to have been added on last, also with a brick floor but not connected to the crank that opens the windows, though it does have hinges and could be added on to that mechanism. it is a different type of window that the other two long ones attached to the crank, but close enough. There is also glass and a door dividing the square part and the long rectangle on the inside.

It is currently all covered in some type of aluminum sheeting on the roof, and some of the sides, as well as what seems like particle board on the ceiling on the inside, but the rafters that would hold the glass are sandwiched in between, and there is some glass in the square portion still in the roof, though still mostly covered up. still.
Under some of the aluminum there are glass panes, though I know there are some missing.

It is a weird, but wonderful, uh, structure??
Last edited by Big Blue on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Blue
Settling in

Post by Big Blue »

Edited to fix photos, and try and describe them a little better....

This is inside the greenhouse. Some places you can see where panes of glass belong, but mostly it is just a confusing mess, and us trying to sort through it! I also realize I don't even have a picture of the doors to get in! Maybe next time I am out with the camera I'll try to take a picture with the doors open, looking straight in.

InsideGreenhouse.JPG
InsideGreenhouse.JPG (858.17 KiB) Viewed 755 times

crank system in Brick floor section:

IMG_3411.JPG
IMG_3411.JPG (746.01 KiB) Viewed 755 times

coolCrankInGreenhouse.JPG
coolCrankInGreenhouse.JPG (799.24 KiB) Viewed 755 times

looking one direction:

IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG (790.6 KiB) Viewed 755 times

and the other from big square room to narrower section. Most of the glass between the two sections around this doorway exists. Some we removed and stored, afraid it was going to fall out, needs reglazing:

IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3406.JPG (854 KiB) Viewed 755 times

IMG_3409.JPG
IMG_3409.JPG (837.41 KiB) Viewed 755 times

bad pictures of square section, i think too much stuff in there to have backed up to take photos, lol!
This section shows more covered ceiling, which after cutting away a little of the whatever it is does show some glass still in the original wood rails sandwiched between the whatever it is on the inside and the whatever it is on the outside of the roof. Hopefully there will be way more glass up there than we expected.

We attached a fluorescent light which obstructs the windows above in this picture. But, there is a long narrow section of panes set vertically across the square portion roof, which bridges the low side and high side of the two different pitches in that section. That glass is all there but I think one pane is cracked, if I recall.

IMG_3407.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG (659.38 KiB) Viewed 755 times

IMG_3408.JPG
IMG_3408.JPG (746.91 KiB) Viewed 755 times

Triangle windows on lower side of square section from inside, with some panes covered up w/ wood, or aluminum, or something... This part looks out on to the walkway down green side of building by the hairpin fence. The side of this section (shown in the post of the outside of the greenhouse )has all (or mostly) frosted or textured glass. This side I think is all clear, but there may be more textured glass under the covered portions still, not sure on that yet.

I believe the roof in this section was glass in wood rails, too, but yet to be confirmed.

IMG_2941Insidegreenhouse.JPG
IMG_2941Insidegreenhouse.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 755 times
Last edited by Big Blue on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Blue
Settling in

Post by Big Blue »

huh, they did load sideways! How odd!

Off to pick up the man in the picture of the greenhouse working hard, there!

:-)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Big Blue wrote:huh, they did load sideways! How odd!

Off to pick up the man in the picture of the greenhouse working hard, there!

:-)

I bet you used an iPhone or iPad for the pictures
Mick...

Big Blue
Settling in

Post by Big Blue »

yep! for all but one!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Big Blue wrote:yep! for all but one!

There is a bug in iOS, it often gets the orientation field wrong in the EXIF info in the image. When the forum software reads an image it rotates it according to the EXIF info. The only way I know to fix this is to always take pictures landscape, or modify them and save them on a computer before uploading (which will correct the EXIF info)
Mick...

Big Blue
Settling in

Post by Big Blue »

Thanks Mick_VT! Your suggestion worked and I was able to fix all those sideways photos and edit so hopefully they make a little more sense as to what is being shown!

Much appreciated.

Clearly this is a home built structure, again, modest but very interesting in a way. It is all brick and block, and wood framing for where the windowpanes were set.

It was used for storage and maybe workshop of sorts for some time, clearly.

However, I think it could be revived.

And, we found a bunch of hinges, doorknobs, mortise and rim locks, some with keys, other cabinet parts, springs, screws, wood, etc., etc., left behind in there. That never hurts! Some if it will come in handy. Already has, actually.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very interesting building!