1917 Canadian Georgian Revival

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: 1917 Canadian Georgian Revival

Post by JacquieJet »

Vala, when you removed them, how bad were the drill holes behind? What did you use to fill them?
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Painted the "sunroom" (dining room) yesterday. Found a really neat metallic paint that almost looks like wallpaper. Neat effect on the textured walls.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (86.29 KiB) Viewed 836 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 836 times
1917-ish

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

What was the metallic paint?

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

It's Ralph Lauren Metallic paint. Around here it's sold at Home Depot.
1917-ish

Don M

Post by Don M »

Welcome, your house appears to have a lot of quality components. I agree trash the fake shutters. My 1830s farm house has most of its original shutters & hardware. Just goes to show the quality of the wood back then!

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Oooooh, original shutters would be awesome! There is a house across the street here that has those. They fold in the middle (vertically), and also have a lever to grab onto if you want to fully close them against the windows. Neat to see.
1917-ish

Vala

Post by Vala »

JacquieJet wrote:Vala, when you removed them, how bad were the drill holes behind? What did you use to fill them?

My apologies I seem to have missed your question!

The drill holes were not too bad, a few made a fracture in the clapboards, but most were not a big deal. I used bondo, it works better than wood putty.

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

Welcome JacquieJet!

I like the house and all the photos you've posted-- you've learned quite well that talking to previous owners or their family members is often the best way to truly unlock the history of your house.

As for the style, "Colonial Revival" can be somewhat of a cop-out answer and a broader term than Georgian Revival, but it's probably how I'd best characterize your house especially given its time period. Even though a Georgian Revival wouldn't stick strictly to the tenets of its earlier precedents, I'd still expect more symmetry and more embellished detail than I see in your home if it was a G.R. The entrance portico w/ pediment and columns are seen often in colonial revivals. Just don't let a realtor get away with forgetting the word "revival" (pet peeve).

For what it's worth, I like the lime-green door set out from the grey facade! Especially if it fits your likes and your personality, more power to you. Make your own history in that house (and keep uncovering the past history)!

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Thanks, Homescribe! I'm actually loving talking to previous owners- so interesting. One person in particular has been abundantly kind, scanning old photos for me, and actually came over and did a walk-through of the house with me and showed me where things used to be (and brought a homemade pie!). I feel so fortunate to be a part of this history.

I really should familiarize myself more with what those terms entail- Colonial Revival and whatnot. I know the basics, but probably should further my knowledge. The off-centre porch just throws me for a loop in this classification.

The super gloss lime green door is one of the first things I did here... it's my favourite colour! We are (hopefully) painting the house this summer to bring it back to the original grey (it's a pastel blue-grey now, hard to really tell in photos), and I think the green will look better when that's finished!
I'm not on Facebook, but apparently my mail carrier is... he mentioned last fall that he saw my front door pop up on his Facebook feed! Someone had walked by and took a picture and posted it, and it was apparently getting passed around... I guess people liked it... My door had it's 15 minutes of fame, I guess! Heh heh.
1917-ish

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

JacquieJet wrote:I really should familiarize myself more with what those terms entail- Colonial Revival and whatnot. I know the basics, but probably should further my knowledge. The off-centre porch just throws me for a loop in this classification.

To be honest, I'm not quite as familiar (yet) with how closely styles in Canada mirrored the U.S. in terms of timeline.
But Colonial = from the Colonial time period (pre-1800). Colonial Revival = early decades of 20th century, mimic the true colonials in overall form; when they first started doing so the proportions were off, then a bit later on Colonial Revivals more accurately portrayed the proportions of the precedents while still taking stylistic liberties.