1904 Queen Ann Victorian

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
DavidP
Been here a while

1904 Queen Ann Victorian

Post by DavidP »

I've also come over from WavyGlass -- happy to be here with all of you. I was told that the house was built in 1904, but there is no documentation; I think it might be a little earlier. In any case, it has come along well on the outside, after I removed the vinyl siding. But there is a lot to do still on the inside, not to mention rehabbing all those windows. Winter is coming . . .
housesmall.jpg
housesmall.jpg (210.91 KiB) Viewed 813 times

Mick_VT

Re: 1904 Queen Ann Victorian

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome David, great to have you here! :D
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Welcome back, I remember you and your house!

Cheers,

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

I'm glad you are here.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Wow, that is a unique looking house especially with that oval window, and the way the two bay windows are different, very interesting.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

Thanks, Nicholas. One does sometimes see oval windows in late Victorian houses, at least in this part of the country. But that window is certainly more noticeable now than it was when everything was white and covered in vinyl. :D

I'm not sure what you mean about the bay windows being different; they are identical except that the one on the front is a few inches wider than the one on the side. If you are alluding to the fact that the upstairs rooms are rectangular and the corners stick out over the bay windows below, that is a common feature of Queen Anne houses.

You may notice what look like little brackets (called purlins) that appear to be holding up those projecting corners as well as the eves. The purlins were removed when the house was covered in vinyl. I knew they were supposed to be there because they are shown on the original plans and because the wood above them remained unpainted. There is a house up the street that may be designed by the same architect as mine and it has the original purlins; my carpenter copied the design from there. Being able to restore details like that, including the little fish-tail shapes around the oval window, was one of the things made the exterior restoration so much fun.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Ok, I see now, yes, the bay windows on the side is what I was referring to. Nice that you were able to copy and replace the features.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Beautiful house! I once lived in an 1894 Queen Ann, and it was a very great house for raising kids in.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare