Hello From Maine!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Hello From Maine!

Post by GibsonGM »

Hello forum members!

I'm Mike, from Maine. I am a restoration house painter, and much of my work is done on Victorians, stripping lead paint and fixing up the old beauties. My wife and I recently found our dream home in the mountains, town population 1200 :mrgreen: It took us over a year to find our home; most of them are sadly needing much more than the avg. person can put into them.

We have a ca. 1860 cape-style farmhouse that somehow has survived rather well given the folks who have lived here over the years. Solid post & beam, no rot in the sills, and so on. Partial interior restoration, but the did keep the plaster and were very tasteful (artists...). It is not 100% 'original', altho I like to think of the things people have added as part of the history too (such as the asbestos tile siding and whatnot).

We move in here in July, and are now ready for our first winter on a big bad hill...9 cord of firewood and a Jotul will hopefully make it easy! We have no insulation (probably why the house is still here...), and the 2nd floor is essentially unfinished. So, I found this forum and hope to toss ideas around about how to do that correctly, and to maybe be able to help others with some paint information, if I am able. Thanks!

Our house now, and then, when the Grand Army of the Republic held their 1895 meeting there (home builder was a noted veteran of the Civil War...)

lisascenic
Stalwart

Re: Hello From Maine!

Post by lisascenic »

What an amazingly charming house! I hope you guys have lots of warm sweaters, and that your first winter isn't too harsh.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Thank you! It will be 30 below here in January; new to the house, but fortunately not the area, LOL! How they did it in the 1800s with just fireplaces amazes me...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Awesome! Welcome to the District GibsonGM :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mick...

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome! :wave: How nice you have a picture from 1895, you must have some historical information on the builder also. That is such invaluable information. Great looking home and that it is still intact is awesome.

Susan

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome GidsonGM, interesting your home has changed very little over the years. I see you lost the extension to the kitchen area and the barn. The barn looks close enough that the kitchen extension might have reached the it. The old pic is great, the older fellows I would think are the vets. Looking at the clothing I would think the pic was taken mid to late 1890's. Once again, welcome. Being a restoration tradesman, your skills and experience will most certainly be well regarded, as the other restoration tradespeople are in the District.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

come on in and settle down, welcome! what a sweet little cape...original window trim and chimneys?
9 cords with a jotul should be fine if you like flannel shirts and sweaters!

...jade

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Sweet house in a sweet state. Nice to see you here, and I only wish I had an old picture of my house like yours!
Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Welcome to the forum. 30 below in January, you must be along the same plain as me in Lancaster, NH. Last year was our first winter here, and we hit 30 below many nights. there was a month long stretch, where it never rose above 25. Your jotul with nine cords will help for sure. Enjoy your first winter.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Now that is what I call a before and after!

Nice original looking house.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House