Our First House!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Mick_VT

Re: Our First House!

Post by Mick_VT »

Do I spy a pocket door on the right of the hallway? That place is going to look fantastic!
Mick...

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Ober51, Congrats, it is great, that even with remodel here and there, that you are able to get something from an original owner that kept much of the good stuff that I see in the pics.

May it continue to have a great future. Looking forward to the historical pics.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow, I can't wait to see where those restorations take your place and welcome aboard!

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Thanks, all. I have a question as it pertains to stripping. It's clear the chestnut is beautiful and will be restored. The pictures show the progress we've made in just a day and a half on what is sure to be a focal point of our TV room. What should we do next? Is there a way to remove the paint remnants and preserve the original finish? Help is appreciated!

IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_5575.JPG (104.03 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
IMG_5574.JPG
IMG_5574.JPG (120.68 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I remember that excitement, moving into my first old house. Have fun together on your project.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Ober51 wrote:Thanks, all. I have a question as it pertains to stripping. It's clear the chestnut is beautiful and will be restored. The pictures show the progress we've made in just a day and a half on what is sure to be a focal point of our TV room. What should we do next? Is there a way to remove the paint remnants and preserve the original finish? Help is appreciated!

The attachment IMG_5575.JPG is no longer available
Corner Cupboard - Copy.jpg
Corner Cupboard - Copy.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

To take off the paint completely, I always used 5F5(the blue can) non flammable. You'll need a respirator and those black chemical gloves. Use medium steel wool to take the paint off once you've basted it with 5F5 using a natural bristle brush. Finish the cleanup with denatured alcohol and fine steel wool, finally wiping it down with rags. The soy or safer strippers don't do it, especially on old paint like that. Good Luck. PS, this walnut corner cupboard was painted white. I went over the whole thing with a tinted wax, which filled in patchy areas and made the finish uniform.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Nice work, Mike and Jess! We all look forward to seeing your progress. Can't wait to see the original cedar shingle! ;)
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

MJ1987 wrote:Nice work, Mike and Jess! We all look forward to seeing your progress. Can't wait to see the original cedar shingle! ;)

Thank you! The earliest this will be done is the Spring but likely a few years off. I am not a fan of biting off more than I can chew at one time, so just a bit at a time.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

SMART! It will be that much more rewarding when you bring that essential character back to the exterior.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

nhguy wrote:
Ober51 wrote:Thanks, all. I have a question as it pertains to stripping. It's clear the chestnut is beautiful and will be restored. The pictures show the progress we've made in just a day and a half on what is sure to be a focal point of our TV room. What should we do next? Is there a way to remove the paint remnants and preserve the original finish? Help is appreciated!

IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_5574.JPG

To take off the paint completely, I always used 5F5(the blue can) non flammable. You'll need a respirator and those black chemical gloves. Use medium steel wool to take the paint off once you've basted it with 5F5 using a natural bristle brush. Finish the cleanup with denatured alcohol and fine steel wool, finally wiping it down with rags. The soy or safer strippers don't do it, especially on old paint like that. Good Luck. PS, this walnut corner cupboard was painted white. I went over the whole thing with a tinted wax, which filled in patchy areas and made the finish uniform.

Awesome, thank you.