Our First House!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Our First House!

Post by Ober51 »

phil wrote:lol I got stuck in a time warp and wrote a long reply then realized this thread spanned 5 years. the good part was once I realized I was lost in time and space I coud see all the beautiful advancements you made. It's coming so nicely!

Phil

Phil, I read every word and wish I had done some of what you described 5 years ago! Thank you again!

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Ober, the shades look beautiful, and I love the stencils. James, you beat me to it; I was going to show off my extensive knowledge of ginkgo leaves, but now it just looks like I only know because you said they were.

And that medicine cabinet is gorgeous! Great details. It's unusual to see one that isn't painted white.

Thank you! Matt found it and basically forced me into buying it. I am glad he did.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

I took some time off work yesterday to finish up our laundry area located behind the kitchen. I figure since the area is for utility, I scanned together some smaller pieces of trim and saved the remaining, custom long runs I have to later use. Snapped two quick pics of the work before it gets painted Monday. I’ll try and get a couple more when I take the machines out Sunday night (too much laundry with 18m old twins to do it before then!).

Edit: something really neat that Matt discovered on my original blueprints - those are pocket windows! We freed one up over the summer and they slide up into the header. Really awesome feature of this old house.

Also, don’t mind my orange tape. It’s only been there for three years. Ugh.
Attachments
FAB1D0D9-C92C-4381-92F0-C6EA8699EE78.jpeg
FAB1D0D9-C92C-4381-92F0-C6EA8699EE78.jpeg (706.5 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
1B357E9A-845A-4EDD-A537-844165DB69E2.jpeg
1B357E9A-845A-4EDD-A537-844165DB69E2.jpeg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2095 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ober, well isn’t that an interesting find. Was this always a service room? I ask because it would make sense to have those windows large and capable of sliding up. Before driers we all had cloths lines. If you mounted a cloth line out side one of those windows and maybe placed a small table or ledge to rest your wet laundry on you could hang the laundry out to dry and retrieve it with out going outside to the stoop.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Gothichome wrote:Ober, well isn’t that an interesting find. Was this always a service room? I ask because it would make sense to have those windows large and capable of sliding up. Before driers we all had cloths lines. If you mounted a cloth line out side one of those windows and maybe placed a small table or ledge to rest your wet laundry on you could hang the laundry out to dry and retrieve it with out going outside to the stoop.

The laundry room was in the basement from what I can tell since the maid’s quarters was (party still) there.

I also have these “pocket windows“ in the main living space - in the room with the fireplace. I believe it was perhaps just a feature of the house.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Ober51 wrote:
I also have these “pocket windows“ in the main living space - in the room with the fireplace. I believe it was perhaps just a feature of the house.

I have a pocket window in the stairwell. I had never encountered one before. Interesting that you have several.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Willa wrote:
Ober51 wrote:

I have a pocket window in the stairwell. I had never encountered one before. Interesting that you have several.

Once Matt found the markings on the original blueprints, it made sense. There are these little push-pin looking things on the sash that I wondered about for a couple of years but never made the connection!

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

This is the last area, aside from the basement if we ever wanted to finish that space, to be done in our house. Well, that changes today! We made this area our laundry room since we wanted to avoid going into the bathroom that time forgot every time (4 times a day with 18m old twins) we needed to do a wash. When we bought the home the pocket window under the stairs was covered by a large cabinet.

If you look closely, which I hope many don't, I patched together all the woodwork with scraps I had. I figured this was a utility area so I could avoid using the long runs of my custom milled-to-match trim. Matt then brought up a good point, "Save for what? This is the last area you need to do." Good point, just too late, lol. The floor was going to be repaired and redone, but we have decided on linoleum since it will see/has seen more water and is a quasi-mid room.

Lastly, I have to measure, but I think this is the area where the original benchtop - found in our attic - sat in our house. I would love to put it back, but for now, this area remains more functional for us.
Attachments
IMG_3343.jpeg
IMG_3343.jpeg (614.95 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
IMG_3340.jpeg
IMG_3340.jpeg (473.73 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
IMG_3341.jpeg
IMG_3341.jpeg (386.54 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
IMG_3342.jpeg
IMG_3342.jpeg (437.52 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Ober51 wrote:Once Matt found the markings on the original blueprints, it made sense. There are these little push-pin looking things on the sash that I wondered about for a couple of years but never made the connection!

What is the function of the push-pin looking things ? My window does not have them.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Willa wrote:
Ober51 wrote:Once Matt found the markings on the original blueprints, it made sense. There are these little push-pin looking things on the sash that I wondered about for a couple of years but never made the connection!

What is the function of the push-pin looking things ? My window does not have them.

I will post a pic later when I get home, but they are essentially a "locking" mechanism. Won't do much if someone is intent on getting in...and the windows aren't sliding up that easily anyway lol.