Our First House!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Our First House!

Post by JacquieJet »

Wow, that looks so nice!!! Love it. Functional and beautiful!
I love the "strike a pose" before photo, too! Heh heh!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

JacquieJet wrote:Wow, that looks so nice!!! Love it. Functional and beautiful!
I love the "strike a pose" before photo, too! Heh heh!

Thank you!

And that's Jess prancing, yelling, "Take the shot!!"

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

The brickwork looks terrific. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

even my knees hurt a little just looking at all that beautiful brick;-) quite a job! it looks really nice. the whole house not just the brick.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Hey, great to see that bathroom come together! Looks really great. Your DR also looks to be well on it's way, and so nice that you actually got to do some outside work too. I hope all is well and that you are feeling good.
Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Eperot wrote:Hey, great to see that bathroom come together! Looks really great. Your DR also looks to be well on it's way, and so nice that you actually got to do some outside work too. I hope all is well and that you are feeling good.
Eric

Thanks, Eric! We are actually pretty close to being able to finally use the first floor of the house, haha. The painters are starting final coats as of today and the floor guy should start next week. I should have some pictures of everything when I get back from vacation!

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Well it took a bit longer, but we are closer to living on the first floor, promise. I'll have pictures of progress this weekend, but first I thought I'd post a personal update.

Yesterday marked the last of 12 visits to the chemo ward at MSKCC. While I am undoubtedly chubbier (the doctor's description...three times) and without eyebrows (everyone's observation), I'm happy to report that I'm ok.
One of the things I've learned over the past six months is how caring people can be. People from my past, present, and future all reached out with words of encouragement and offering well wishes. In some cases, even transportation. If you were one of those people, thank you. Every text, message or card brought a smile to my face and will never be forgotten. The most frequent smiles were due to Jess and her uncanny ability to infuse humor and love during those times when I could have screamed or cried. Without her this hill would have been a mountain.

Through everything, I still recognize how fortunate I am to have gotten, as Larry David so humorously put it, "the good cancer." While it hasn't been particularly easy, it could have been far worse. My good days outnumbered the bad, and I was able to work throughout my treatment.

The next step is to get another scan in six weeks to see how my body responded to the chemo. With more positive news forecasted by my doctor, I'm confident the worst is behind me. Someone asked me what I wanted most after today. I'm most excited about getting my time back. It's amazing how we fit things into our lives that we never thought possible. So while I'm pumped to have a beer and eat some sushi, I'm more excited to get my time back to spend it with my better half and amazing, caring, and rockstar family. Today marks the end of an unlikely chapter, and I'm ready to see what's next.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Wow - that's a huge milestone. I hope that all is well ahead. I'm sending good thoughts and warm wishes.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

That is really good to hear, Ober. I hope you can get this behind you soon. I'm with Willa in sending you all the best. :text-goodpost:
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ober, that's great news.