New Member- Portfolio of late 19th/Early 20th century houses in South Carolina

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
newbrooklandmayor
Just Arrived

New Member- Portfolio of late 19th/Early 20th century houses in South Carolina

Post by newbrooklandmayor »

Hi all, I bought a portfolio of rental houses and a large single family house-

1899 Double Gallery I-house (architecturally wrecked vinyl siding and replaced porch with modern. I have to get it back)
Late 19th/Early 20th century shotgun house
3 Cracker houses late 19th/early 20th century.
1 Arts and crafts kit house very early 20th century

I've owned them a little over a year and I like old houses quite a bit!

I'd love to figure out a quick way to strip paint lol.

Gothichome

Re: New Member- Portfolio of late 19th/Early 20th century houses in South Carolina

Post by Gothichome »

Newbroke, what is your Intensions for those homes?

newbrooklandmayor
Just Arrived

Re: New Member- Portfolio of late 19th/Early 20th century houses in South Carolina

5 are rentals and one is my personal house. They are in an area directly outside a landmark district with zero enforcement, (I am from the area originally) but the local town does not have a very deep appreciation for the architecture and uniqueness of some of the oldest structures in the community, which are often torn down, or else architecturally pillaged. There are maybe 10 queen annes in the area and no one local knows what they are. The cracker farmhouses are super cool, but most of them have had the 11 foot ceilings dropped, and no one really appreciates them. Everything is built from old growth heart pine, number one boards.

I'm interested in restoring the architectural character and feel of the houses I own, so that the neighborhood wakes up and embraces what it is without going corporate where everything is torn down- Especially the cracker farm houses which are very often not recognized.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Newbrook, great to see such dedication. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you though. How did I you come to own so many homes?. Are they all on the same block?

newbrooklandmayor
Just Arrived

they are within the same 5 block radius. I bought most of the rentals from an old man who is retiring

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

newbrookland-

The history of homes like these are threatened across the country. It's great to see that someone like you cares about saving them, best of luck! Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

wow pretty fantastic... when you said portfolio, I thought it was a photo album of sorts... would love to see pictures...
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

We live in an area which is heavily a rental market. Most are not into restoration, first go the windows then the interiors, lastly the exterior gets sided. Luckily all my closest neighbors are single family homes
Best of luck with your project(s)

Don M

Post by Don M »

Good to meet you & definitely interested in seeing your portfolio. We love pictures both inside & out. We have a horse property near Aiken, SC. There are a lot of single & double wide trailers, mfg. homes plus many abandoned farm houses near us.

newbrooklandmayor
Just Arrived

Pictures coming soon. most of the rental houses were pretty simplistic to begin with, so I do "key west" or "new orleans" style exterior porch restorations that arent exactly period accurate per se- but they are period appropriate. I do replace rotton windows in rentals, but I also remove the casings and rebuild them back to match the old so that the replacement window goes to the edges of the opening and doesn't look like a slide īn-I hoard all the old sashes and blown glass-