New Member! 1920's Bungalow

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Re: New Member! 1920's Bungalow

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome to The Historic District. Your home is lovely and I'm happy you were able to find such a beautiful home that you and your wife love. :)

Susan

Vala

Post by Vala »

Welcome aboard!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Wow. Another Nick from the Philly area.

Yes, grew up in Philly, in the row houses just south of Cottman and Bustleton. My father, uncles, and in summers, me, did the stone work on every one of those custom built homes that have stone in Justa Farm, Huntingdon Valley, in the 60's. So you know I can appreciate that stone work on yours.

And Wow. What a great looking house, you did well. Don't sweat the vinyls, once the originals are gone, it is what it is, I have them too.

Welcome!
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great to hear from another old home owner. Your home is very attractive & appears well kept. The wood floors are unusual; are they what you said is covering your hardwood? Welcome, glad you are here! :thumbup:

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Hi Nick. Welcome. Your house looks similar to my 1908 bungalow from the outside, except of course our porch is enclosed. But your floor plan is different. Our trim looks the same from what I can tell. Are the casings beaded and curved? I love the fact that these smaller homes were built with such care. Our kitchen is in the back of the house as you suspect yours was. It is fun to trace the history and changes that were made over time.
Diane

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

Nicholas, it's always great to meet another Nick-- you were certainly close indeed! I'm probably within a half hour of both the Northeast and H.V. I love this area, I grew up in Harleysville a bit farther out, and I also spent 9 years in Boston, but Philly was always calling me back. I'll take Chestnut Hill and My Airy over the pompously huge manses of the Main Line any day! Chock full of that glorious Wissahickon schist. I'm thrilled to have a home with a bit of it.

Don- yes, the public areas- kitchen, foyer, living room all have that somewhat exotic modern hardwood (I think it's chestnut with a few different stain colors placed in random pattern). The bedrooms all have carpet. But I have seen glimpses of original hardwood underneath carpet at one of the radiators, and under that newer hardwood behind the stove.
Last edited by homescribehistory on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

What a cute house - I especially love your porch and those great columns!

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

Diane-

Our cased openings don't have a ton of curved molding and beading. Mostly flat stock with a simple entablature, with a small crown cap molding. Here's a close-up.

rps20151112_215354.jpg
rps20151112_215354.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Hmm, another project for some day, strip and refinish.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Mine is similar:

into hall.jpg
into hall.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 664 times

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Greetings Homescribe!!
Another "bungalowner" here...same trim work in mine too!

I'm enjoying your blog. I have an ancestry account with 2 trees. One for my personal family & another for my house! I had my place *maybe* three weeks & went to the courthouse & ran a deed search & made copies of everything. Went back & looked up wills for many of them too.

I do have spirits in my place...but they're cool. They like me & protect me. Whenever the subject of living alone comes up, I usually say "Well, sort of...." and leave it at that! LOL!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow