New Member! 1920's Bungalow

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
homescribehistory
Settling in

New Member! 1920's Bungalow

Post by homescribehistory »

Hi everyone! I'm Nick, and I've only just stumbled upon both OHW and WG in recent months, and was happy to have found that this online collective of old house enthusiasts is still going! Those old forums seemed like they were once great sources of information and sharing, and I hope to become an active member in the discussions here at the Historic District.

I'm a relatively new homeowner, my wife and I having bought our 1920's bungalow in southeast PA about 15 months ago. We live here with our two kids, and although there are no plans to renovate in the near future, I do have some dreams! Someday I'd like to expand upwards, not with a full second story but by building out some dormers in the attic to mostly maintain the current look of the house. I also happen to be an architect so I'm confident I can work it out and maintain the character of the house's form. I'd love to rip off the asbestos siding and see if there is any in-tact German siding underneath. I also can't wait to someday tear off the aluminum soffits and expose the rafters in the eaves.

Although this has always been a modest home throughout its history, it maintains the historic charm my wife and I were hoping to find in a home. It was owned by the same family for about 70 years, and also was split as a duplex with two apartments for many years. Over the past 14 years before we bought it, another young couple brought it into this century and re-established it as a single-family house. It's got some handsome cased openings. Original hardwoods exist under carpet and newer hardwoods. Sadly, vinyl windows adorn the openings nowadays, but they do keep us warm. The house is not a showstopper but it's mine, and I love it!

As a sidenote, I also write a blog about unearthing the history of my house. I won't spam you all with it here, but it is linked in my profile and I plan on submitting it to Mick properly for the Blog Roll Bookshelf.

I seem to be having issues getting pictures to attach, but will try again tomorrow. Looking forward to talking with you all.

Neighmond

Re: New Member! 1920's Bungalow

Post by Neighmond »

Welcome in from another sort of bungaloo owner to another! Pretty house!

Cheers!
Chaz

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

As an owner of a modest house with German siding, I say welcome! (Actually I'll say welcome to just about everybody).
Peeling back that Asbestos shingle siding sounds like a great idea...a lot of work, but worth it in the long run. Thanks for stopping by!
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome to the neighborhood! when you're ready to undertake some work, we are here....
wow, what a thorough genealogy you've done of your home...only read part one but am impressed...how exciting!
...jade

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Welcome to The District! One of the nicest intros I've read. Congrats on your home and looking forward to updates.

As a certified lead renovator and trained in asbestos removal, I suggest you may want to look at removing the siding yourself if it something you can do. Generally asbestos siding is usually "non-friable" and can be removed by the homeowner with correct measures taken. Check your state's laws governing the procedure. Taking down cement siding is quite easy and generally can be done without much breakage.

Having it done by a certified removal company becomes very expensive as the steps they need to follow become quite labor intensive and costly. If you remove it yourself, you can have a certified company come and dispose of the product according to the law. I have done this myself and the cost of packaging and transport was $450 as opposed to the cost of professional removal, which was going to be around $7,000.
Etta says "WOOF"

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Welcome and don't forget to put up a few pictures when you can. We are in a reworked Victorian that is now a bungalow.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Another 20s bungalow! Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some photos of your home. :D

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to the district homescriber. Had a quick look at your blog, like your research. Look forward to seeing more.

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

Wow, thanks so much everyone for the warm welcoming! I really appreciate those that checked out the blog and said kind things-- there is plenty more where that came from, I've got plenty to write about.

Hmm, I still can't seem to post photos inline on this message (says max size is 600kb but I am trying to post photos which are 200-300kb, still gives me error?)

Anyway, here is a photobucket link for many more photos (all from last year's real estate listing, we haven't changed anything significantly aside from furnishings).

http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/nikma ... 20Bungalow

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome to the District, glad you found us!
Mick...