Finally New (Old) Home Owners! [Lots of Pictures]

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Finally New (Old) Home Owners! [Lots of Pictures]

Post by Corsetière »

Congrats! I particularly love the deco doorknob. :)

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Congrats! Welcome to the disease! :lol:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

nice to hear from folks like you who are so excited about their new old home....great place!...pace yourself and let your house tell you what it 'needs'...then you can move on to what you 'want' down the line....

your windows appear to have been painted shut...some painters have a medical issue that drives them to paint all the components of a window as a unit rendering them inoperable...the parting bead (slender piece of wood that 'parts' the top and bottom sash and runs vertically the length of the opening) should be left unpainted...removing a parting bead that has been painted numerous times is tricky and often the bead breaks...we score the paint and, using sheet metal pliers with 4" jaws, gently rock the parting bead side to side in an attempt to remove it as a whole...you can remove all the paint or mill new ones...

difficult to tell from the photo but i'm thinking perhaps you have/had some type of tubular balance mechanism that broke and left you with a nonfunctioning strip of metal...you will need to remove the sash investigate...

when you are ready to tackle your windows, we're here to help....
good luck settling in......
....jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

Looks really cool. The door knob is very pretty as others said! Congrats on the purchase!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

pretty house!

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbdown: I am not seeing any pictures??

I can see that there are URLs but can't get the photos to show.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

funny how little details like a doorknob influence a big decision like a house ;-) for me it was an old deco wall phone. I didn't actually buy that house but I came close to it. In the end I kept thinking of the bloody phone so I bought one just the same and restored it. Then I found myself paying extra for house phone and cell phone. finally I gave in and cancelled the house phone but for 15 a month I can get a phone line using voice over IP I miss the ring. I could even hear it over the lawnmower lol..

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Congratulations on your new(old) home. It looks great and I'm sure it will be warm and cozy with that beautiful fireplace. Keep us updated as you get settled.

Susan

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Thanks everyone! Lately I've been working on the really fun stuff like raking leaves. Growing up in Colorado this was never something I had to do. Last night I worked on getting our king size bed upstairs and put together, that was also a really good time! =P I'm very excited about the prospect of summer and working on these windows so we can actually open them.... and hopefully they'll even stay open. But before that yes I'm very excited about making a fire! I keep bugging my wife about going to buy a firewood grate, wood, and tools, but she seems to think there's more important things at the moment. What could be more important than fire??

Don M wrote::thumbdown: I am not seeing any pictures??

I can see that there are URLs but can't get the photos to show.

Hmm, I'm not sure why you're not able to see them. I can't see them when I view this thread at work, but we have really old ghetto computers and internet, is your computer ghetto? =P

heartwood wrote:your windows appear to have been painted shut...some painters have a medical issue that drives them to paint all the components of a window as a unit rendering them inoperable...the parting bead (slender piece of wood that 'parts' the top and bottom sash and runs vertically the length of the opening) should be left unpainted...removing a parting bead that has been painted numerous times is tricky and often the bead breaks...we score the paint and, using sheet metal pliers with 4" jaws, gently rock the parting bead side to side in an attempt to remove it as a whole...you can remove all the paint or mill new ones...

difficult to tell from the photo but i'm thinking perhaps you have/had some type of tubular balance mechanism that broke and left you with a nonfunctioning strip of metal...you will need to remove the sash investigate...

when you are ready to tackle your windows, we're here to help....
good luck settling in......
....jade

I was really hoping we had the sash weights as I love the way the sash cords look, but I'll investigate this summer and let you know what I find. And just for my reference, is this the bead you were talking about?

Powermuffin wrote:Nice home! I completely understand your excitement - it is all yours to do with as you wish. Keep us posted as you get rooms put together. We'd like to see more, like the kitchen.
:P
Diane

By request, here's the kitchen. [=

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

what you are pointing to is a part of the stop bead (a bead is a piece of trim)...the parting bead has a squared edge and parts the top and bottom sash...look at the top flat left corner of the bottom sash...see the notch cut out for the parting bead...that is the slender piece of wood to which I refer...
good luck....
....jade