Finally New (Old) Home Owners! [Lots of Pictures]

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Prozart
Settling in

Finally New (Old) Home Owners! [Lots of Pictures]

Post by Prozart »

So due to the amount of pictures and the size I decided to start a new thread to show them in. Keep in mind we just closed Friday and moved in Saturday, so some of the pictures display a bit of a mess. Some of the house has been renovated by previous owners such as granite in the kitchen and bathroom but I think it still retains a lot of the charm of an old house. Let me know what you guys think!

Removing the awning is very high on our to-do list.

Kind of hard to see, but there used to be cement steps under the deck thing they built. Not sure if I want to just tear down the deck to go back to the cement or paint it white. What do you think?

Not the greatest looking storm windows, but I'm glad we have them, and I'll take them over replacement vinyl any day.

Back Deck

Back of the house. Vinyl ( :sick: ) needs cleaned.

Dining and kitchen, I get to look at the old wood window as I do the dishes. ^^

Cellar, still has some of the soot from when there was a gas burning stove down there. Unfortunately the stove has been removed.

Window needs reglazing, but overall good condition.

I love the doorknobs!

One of our first furniture purchases for the home, first dining room table we've owned. ^^

Cellar Window

Dining Room windows

Fireplace, can't wait to use it! A lot of the homes in the neighborhood have their chimneys cut off and roofs go over them, makes me so sad.

Some of the windows have this wire looking thing going into the hole, others have nothing there. All I'd read about on here were ropes and chains, are these thin wires sometimes used to hold up the window weights?

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Finally New (Old) Home Owners! [Lots of Pictures]

Post by JRC »

Congratulations!

Nice house! You're right, those are great door knobs! How many are the deco style with the metal knob, and how many are the more decorative style with crystal knobs?

There are window experts who will know more than I, but your windows look like they used a different system than weight and pulley. From what I've seen, if weights and pulleys were used, the pulleys would be installed higher up on the frame.

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

Nice house! Congratulations. Looks to be in great shape. Lucky you to get wood windows and storms instead of vinyl to go with the vinyl siding.

Unless you had it inspected already as part of purchase, might be a good idea to have the chimney inspected prior to use to be safe.

You are going to have fun making your mark on the house!
Etta says "WOOF"

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Congratulations. LOTS of charm for a new family! Your house looks like it can be lived in right away and then, when you have an idea of your needs, changed to your exact wants.

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Thanks everyone, we're very excited to finally be in our first home. And yeah it was totally move in ready, just little things here and there that needed to be done, most of which I was able to do myself. Of course we have a lot of long term goals, but for now it's definitely livable.

JRC, yeah funny enough the door knobs were one of the things that made me initially fall in love with the house, that and the hardwood throughout. They're all the decorative glass (including the door leading into the back yard) except for the one metal I showed you which is in the bathroom.

And I'm hoping Jade will be able to weigh in on the windows. This summer I'd like to do some maintenance on them because a lot of them are very difficult to open if they open at all.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

congratulations on your new home. as you live in it you wil find projects but it looks nice and liveable and after you spend time in it you will see all kinds of projects but all the basics seem to be in place and that is a great place to start.
I kinda like the awning ;-) keeps the rain off when you open the door ;-)

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Nice home! I completely understand your excitement - it is all yours to do with as you wish. Keep us posted as you get rooms put together. We'd like to see more, like the kitchen.
:P
Diane

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Phil, we do want to keep an awning, but perhaps a black one or something. Or maybe that one can be washed, cause it's pretty terrible looking at the moment, lol.

And Diane, I'll post some pictures of the kitchen, just for you. ^^ I didn't originally because it's been redone and I didn't want to be shunned. =P

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Congratulations! Very nice looking house.

And I looove that art deco looking door knob. Even if there is just one - amazing.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Prozart wrote:Phil, we do want to keep an awning, but perhaps a black one or something. Or maybe that one can be washed, cause it's pretty terrible looking at the moment, lol.

And Diane, I'll post some pictures of the kitchen, just for you. ^^ I didn't originally because it's been redone and I didn't want to be shunned. =P

I don't think anyone here would shun you for buying a house with an updated kitchen. But, we might shun you if you took out an all-original 1930s/40s kitchen that was in good shape, and replaced it with a modern cookie-cutter kitchen. :) IMO, the same goes for original windows.