Hello! Soon to be an Old House Owner

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Eperot
Stalwart

Re: Hello! Soon to be an Old House Owner

Post by Eperot »

First, welcome! Glad to see newbies popping up on a relatively new site (not just all us old farts who eloped from another site because of spam).

"I can't afford to quite yet."

Of course. But the first part of really filling the shoes of an old house owner is knowing that everything has limitations, including time, knowledge, and money. But don't worry, because time is on your side. You have to get used to putting certain projects on the back burner while waiting for finances to accumulate or life circumstances (marriages, kids, jobs, divorce, etc) to change. If you cannot deal with this, you probably don't need to be buying an old house. They are not for everyone. I've lived with a hallway and staircase in ongoing repair for three years now and currently have old man winter creeping up on me while I have two windows pulled out of my living room for restoration. These are things you and your partner must get used to. Just try not to sweat the small stuff. If you are into it and perhaps just a bit crazy, I think you'll be just fine. You are on the right path already with wanting to keep your original windows.

As Gothichome stated, lots of knowledge and years of experience reside here. Ask questions!

Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Eperot wrote:First, welcome! Glad to see newbies popping up on a relatively new site (not just all us old farts who eloped from another site because of spam).

"I can't afford to quite yet."

Of course. But the first part of really filling the shoes of an old house owner is knowing that everything has limitations, including time, knowledge, and money. But don't worry, because time is on your side. You have to get used to putting certain projects on the back burner while waiting for finances to accumulate or life circumstances (marriages, kids, jobs, divorce, etc) to change. If you cannot deal with this, you probably don't need to be buying an old house. They are not for everyone. I've lived with a hallway and staircase in ongoing repair for three years now and currently have old man winter creeping up on me while I have two windows pulled out of my living room for restoration. These are things you and your partner must get used to. Just try not to sweat the small stuff. If you are into it and perhaps just a bit crazy, I think you'll be just fine. You are on the right path already with wanting to keep your original windows.

As Gothichome stated, lots of knowledge and years of experience reside here. Ask questions!

Eric

This ^^^^

he really did say it all!
Mick...

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Yeah after doing some research just in restoring the windows I've seen how much work it will be. Definitely not something you can get done in an afternoon. But part of the exciting thing to me is having the ability to work on it over the years. This is our first place and previously the longest we've lived in a place is two years. We're very excited to have a long term home that we can slowly improve as time and finances permit.

And we've moved up the closing to Friday so I'll post pictures for you all as soon as I can. I just feel kind of weird posting pictures of someone else's house. =P

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Good luck, I hope all goes smoothly at closing
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Prozart, good deal, might be a little late in the season to get windows done. Depending on the overall state of the home, you might want to take care of drafts and the such. Basically just button the home up a bit for the winter. It has not been mentioned yet but most of us here recommend living in the house a year or so before boing any major reworking of the home, the home will tell you what it needs. Also you'll be amazed at how well these old homes work for you in day to day living.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Hi, congrats on your acquisition, can't wait to see the pics. People that get into these old homes are a daring, risk taking breed, its great to be a part of that.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Alright so we're supposed to close Friday but I can't wait anymore to post a picture. I'll take much more, and better ones, when we move in but I'm wondering what style of home this is.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Looks like a sort of a cross between late bungalow and a cape Cod.....pretty house!

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Thanks Neighmond! Yeah I was looking at pictures of the different styles and couldn't really figure out which one this was. I'm really wondering what's under the vinyl... But finding out is at least a couple years away. I want to start by painting the deck white and replacing the terrible awning this summer.

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

The front peaks and chimney has storybook elements. However, if forced, I would classify it as a cape.