Hello! Soon to be an Old House Owner

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: Hello! Soon to be an Old House Owner

Post by Don M »

That is an interesting house & what's hiding under the vinyl may make identification easier. Nice looking stone foundation. Is it solid stone or a stone veneer over concrete or cement block?

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Don M wrote:That is an interesting house & what's hiding under the vinyl may make identification easier. Nice looking stone foundation. Is it solid stone or a stone veneer over concrete or cement block?

Yeah I can't wait to see what's under the vinyl, but it'll be a while before I can find out unfortunately. As far as the stone, I assume it's solid stone but how would I find out? The cellar has cement walls so it may just be a veneer.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Prozart wrote:
Don M wrote:That is an interesting house & what's hiding under the vinyl may make identification easier. Nice looking stone foundation. Is it solid stone or a stone veneer over concrete or cement block?

Yeah I can't wait to see what's under the vinyl, but it'll be a while before I can find out unfortunately. As far as the stone, I assume it's solid stone but how would I find out? The cellar has cement walls so it may just be a veneer.

I would guess it is a veneer if the interior walls are cement. My foundation is solid stone and you can see the stones on the interior.

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Don M wrote:
Prozart wrote:

I would guess it is a veneer if the interior walls are cement. My foundation is solid stone and you can see the stones on the interior.

I just visited the house this morning for the final walkthrough and the outer walls are actually solid stone. It's kind of a weird cellar but the outer walls are stone and then there's like cement coming out away from the outerwalls forming like a chest-high inner wall, if that makes any sense at all.

And I took lots of pictures, so those will be posted soon. [= Also, on the back of the house it's not vinyl siding, it's some sort of wood siding I believe, is it probable that that's also what's under the vinyl? I have a picture of that siding and I'll post that along with the other pictures tonight.

Edit:
So here's just a couple of the pictures I took, trying to show the siding and stone. Not the greatest pictures, sorry.

Edit Again: After looking at pictures of the back of the house only one small portion has that kind of siding and I'm pretty sure it was an add on, it's a laundry room. So I'm thinking that's not what's under the vinyl.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

a lot of 1930s houses near me have asbestos shingles. they look similar to that wood , kind of like when they make hardiboard try to look like wood with the impression of woodgrain. but what you have is siding so maybe it is wood siding? the ones with the asbestos shingles are each about a foot wide. not long pieces like siding.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome Prozart, Very nice home. I love the setting with all the trees.

Susan

Prozart
Settling in

Post by Prozart »

Thanks everyone! We closed on the house Friday and moved in Saturday... finally! We don't have internet hooked up yet, that's supposed to happen today so I'll get some more pictures up soon! Should I add them in here or make a new thread?

Don M

Post by Don M »

Prozart wrote:Thanks everyone! We closed on the house Friday and moved in Saturday... finally! We don't have internet hooked up yet, that's supposed to happen today so I'll get some more pictures up soon! Should I add them in here or make a new thread?

Congratulations on your successful closing! You could post pictures here or you could start a new thread---your choice! 8-) 8-)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Prozart wrote:Thanks everyone! We closed on the house Friday and moved in Saturday... finally! We don't have internet hooked up yet, that's supposed to happen today so I'll get some more pictures up soon! Should I add them in here or make a new thread?

Congratulations!
Mick...