So I finally decided to join

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

So I finally decided to join

Post by JRC »

Hi! I was JRC at the other sites, too.

I waited this long because I've been in a generally grumpy mood, and I thought the move from wavy glass was premature. But, today, I dropped by wavy glass and saw an entire page full of spam, and decided it was time to join.

So, here I am. I hope to contribute where I can, and ask plenty of questions, too.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: So I finally decided to join

Post by Nicholas »

JRC, I had barely joined Wavy Glass when it started to go down hill. When I joined I asked the Admin a simple question in PM, I just went and checked, still no answer, nobody home at the house of the Wavy Glass. Just a lot of squatters.

I think Mick and the others are much more neighborly here.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Holy smokes, the spammers have been busy over there today. Almost two full pages by ding0728. :doh:

Glad you decided to rejoin the group. Looks like most everyone made it over.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

good to see you jrc! i'm loyal at heart so I understand why folks are/were hesitant to leave wavyglass..I too visited recently and it's very sad to see what has happened....when one window closes, another one opens!
you'll find many of familiar names here...
....jade

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Welcome aboard!

This might not be the place to ask, but what makes this place immune from the spammers should they show up/computer show up?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Ober51 wrote:Welcome aboard!

This might not be the place to ask, but what makes this place immune from the spammers should they show up/computer show up?

nowhere is completely immune from spammers but...

I am keeping the forum software up to date with the latest version and have installed the latest in spam detection / prevention measures that this forum software has available. Basically new members are screened against know email and ip addresses used by spam bots before they can register.

Finally if they make it through that, we have half a dozen or so moderators who are online frequently who have the power to delete posts and ban user accounts.

If you see something that looks like spam, please use the report button, and we will remove it.
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

JRC wrote:Hi! I was JRC at the other sites, too.

I waited this long because I've been in a generally grumpy mood, and I thought the move from wavy glass was premature. But, today, I dropped by wavy glass and saw an entire page full of spam, and decided it was time to join.

So, here I am. I hope to contribute where I can, and ask plenty of questions, too.

Truly glad to see you here JRC, I can see how the jump might have seemed premature, but Chris' total absence and refusal to let us help moderate, coupled with his lack of spam prevention measures at the old place meant there was no hope of the spam problem not getting much much worse, and no way to fend it off. It also meant that the site was static, i.e. that there was no way for it to grow with the membership's needs. I will not let that happen here, I promise.

Welcome to the District :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

HI JRC, I too was wondering when I saw the 'invite' to come here and remembered the one to join WG from OHW....but this place is nice and many of the folks who migrated to Wavy have now come here.

You will like it here.
Etta says "WOOF"

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JRC, glad you made it to the good side of the tracks. Only a couple stragglers left.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Now we got an "Elm Street"! JRC your house is a dandy; it's a poster child for revamping an old house, as far as I am concerned!

Cheers!
Chaz