Dating my house

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: Dating my house

Post by Don M »

Mick_VT wrote:It sure looks early 19th century greek revival to me.

I agree with Mick---you may have a squirrel check the attic & look for holes in the soffits.
I like your house---it's even closer to the road than mine! ;)

Redroadhouse
Just Arrived

Post by Redroadhouse »

Wow, thanks for all the information. I was told there was a mill on the property. We are on a river. Also, I hired an animal expert to check around for critters. He found a flying squirrel nest. No bat colony, which I had suspected. I want to bring my cat up, but I like my cat and I'm not convinced I don't have a groundhog, my cats a vicious killer, but I don't think he can take a bigger animal. I have a trap, should I set it? I'm sure I have a rat and mice too. I will post again, I can write a book about all the work and drama. :D I also had a contractor tell me I should rip up my beautiful floor so I can fix the rotten sill. And I should pump cement onto the dirt basement. Other people can get under the house to the sill and I feel pulling up the floor should be a last resort. I have some powder post beatle damage too. On the bright side I have a new propane furnace and heat for the first time in 10 months. Thanks for listening.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yes, set the trap for the ground hog. Susan killed 49 one year. They do great damage to property digging tunnels. Friend's dogs kill ground hogs for sport but I agree your cat shouldn't tangle with one. Also beware of coyotes if they are in your area. Cats disappear.

If your sill can be accessed from the crawl space or from the exterior of your house do that. You can probably jack up the joists from the crawl space & replace the sill from outside. That's what we did with our big bank barn & the spring house.

A cement basement floor might help cut down on critters entering the house.

Congratulations on your new heating system! :thumbup:

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I can confirm we have coyotes in VT these days
Mick...

Redroadhouse
Just Arrived

Post by Redroadhouse »

Thank you so much! 49 ground hogs? The trap I have is humane. I just might have a heart attack if i see one of those in it. Gulp...