1899 Victorian

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: 1899 Victorian

Post by Don M »

Mighty fine looking home, welcome! I love the old photo too. I bet that boy just received a new bicycle for his birthday. I have a similar photo of me with my new English 3-speed when I was 11. :D

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Love, love, love the color! :D

tonyp1
Knows the area

Post by tonyp1 »

Added a few more pics and some more history the local historical society sent me about the house.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Tony, so just trying to clarify....you say painted black sand and clearcoat....you mean once the hardware was clean, you painted it black and then sanded the black paint off the high spots so the black remains only in the recesses?
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Eperot wrote:Tony, so just trying to clarify....you say painted black sand and clearcoat....you mean once the hardware was clean, you painted it black and then sanded the black paint off the high spots so the black remains only in the recesses?

Dont sand. just wipe while wet.... less damaging. I polish then paint and wipe while wet.
Mick...

tonyp1
Knows the area

Post by tonyp1 »

Eperot wrote:Tony, so just trying to clarify....you say painted black sand and clearcoat....you mean once the hardware was clean, you painted it black and then sanded the black paint off the high spots so the black remains only in the recesses?

Correct but you must sand very lightly if your hardware is plated.

tonyp1
Knows the area

Post by tonyp1 »

I've added more pictures to my site thanks to the previous owner who took the time to label over 100 photographs and give them to me. He documents the uncovering of both staircases as well as a second story kitchen that no longer exsits. Anyhow new pictures and captions ect. Works goes on.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Thanks for the heads up about the additional pictures.

I wonder how exciting it was to find the details of the stairs still intact. If it was me, I would have been bouncing around like a five year old.

You've been doing a marvelous job getting all those materials together to give a big picture of not just the wonderful home itself, but the context of the overall time it has stood in that town.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Great pictures!!! So many wonderful details. I love the history behind the property, too. Fascinating!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

tonyp1
Knows the area

Post by tonyp1 »

Recently found out this picture was actually took on armistice day. The children were let out early in celebration.

You can see the original carriage stone in the picture.
Attachments
IMG_1258.PNG
IMG_1258.PNG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1055 times