1899 Victorian

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: 1899 Victorian

Post by Don M »

Nifty lamp!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Is that milk glass?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

tonyp1
Knows the area

Post by tonyp1 »

Yes it's solid brass not plated.
Last edited by tonyp1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

My heart palpitates when I see projects like this. Some people gush over vids of kittens and puppies, I gush over pics/vids of removing drywall to find wood panels or beadboard underneath, lol.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

You know... I think every continental European would immediately think of Milka chocolate (a Nestle brand) seeing the exterior of your house :D All their chocolate wrappers are a very similar colour.

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Oooh Milka chocolate!
Now I have not had that in a while...hmm wonder if can get it over here in the US?
Edited to add- I see it is sold over here, I used to love the nutty one,wonder if it still tastes the same,I may have to do some sampling!

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Oops I forgot to say I also love your house and that porch light is wonderful!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Tony, I think that light just belongs there. Nice light and a great location to show case it.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Tony, that is a gorgeous fixture.
Olson185 wrote:My heart palpitates when I see projects like this. Some people gush over vids of kittens and puppies, I gush over pics/vids of removing drywall to find wood panels or beadboard underneath, lol.
I love progress images and how to videos a lot. I do have a site I go to for my adorable otter fix, but I look at far more house and furnishings related images than otters.

We went up to NH for an errand tonight, and as I was looking upon all the lovely homes along the way and found myself smiling, I asked Sean, "Do you think I'll ever get tired of old houses? I mean, will I eventually say, 'Well, there's really only 23 or whatever types, and after a while they'll all just seem the same old, same old?'" He actually turned his head and looked right at me even though he was driving with a really confused "who are you and where is my wife?" face before turning back and answering, "I don't think so. Think about how even within those 23 they're all different and there are further breakdowns. Each one has its own details that give you something new to find. Some have changed, some are falling apart, they're all different." I honestly don't know why that question even entered into my head, other than I was thinking about various hobbies I've had over the years, so maybe my brain made the jump that way. In my heart, I know he's right as long as these homes stick around for me to look at whether in person or through places like this.
Vined Porch wrote:Oops I forgot to say I also love your house and that porch light is wonderful!
Food won the brain battle again, I see. I have this happen a lot to me. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

He actually turned his head and looked right at me even though he was driving with a really confused "who are you and where is my wife?"

Hehe, that's like my brother when I briefly contemplated having someone convert our original windows to double-pane glazing and he said: "Who are you?!? And what did you do to my brother???"

The project never happened anyway because how could I possibly tear out original wavy glass? Not nearly as bad as replacing the entire windows with PVC but bad enough.