Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
heartwood

Re: 1806

Post by heartwood »

jeff...
at this time I don't plan to be at the expo...it's a two day commitment and a good amount of travel...I do it at no charge for NH preservation alliance--a very active group of knowledgeable people...
.....jade

Don M

Post by Don M »

Welcome 1806! I think I remember you from OHW as well as some of your early renovation work? It is incredible that houses like yours wind up abandoned especially since it is such a large & imposing structure. We all look forward to pictures or a blog on your progress! We were from Groton, MA & renovated a cider mill into a house in 1973. We are in Pennsylvania now in an 1830s vintage stone farmhouse.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Jeff, That's a great looking place, Webster is a good town too. We owned and restored an 1809 hipped roof colonial in SW NH for 20 years. It was a real big place like yours, but I learned a lot working on it. Should you ever need 18th century or early 19th century 9/6 or 6/6 sash I have a bunch in my attic.

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

NHGuy,

Thanks for the offer on the windows. Unfortunately all my windows are new. The old ones went in the 70s. The last two times they were replaced the POs used 9/6 true divided lights and not vinyl or wood inserts.

Jeff

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Here's a few pictures of a project from a few years ago.
The fireplace in the before picture is a 70's freestanding metal one with vents above. It was ugly.
Living room before
Living room before
Front Living Room Before_002.JPG (47.12 KiB) Viewed 650 times

Living room before 2
Living room before 2
Front Living Room Before_004.JPG (117.57 KiB) Viewed 650 times
I glued up boards to make the wide ones for the wainscoting. All the woodwork is hand planed.
Living room after
Living room after
Front Living Room After_006.JPG (141.05 KiB) Viewed 650 times
I dismantled the fireplace wall and rebuilt it with the original wood. We had the Rufus Porter style painting over the fire place done by Susan Dwyer. It represents our house in its early years. The fireplace is only for aesthetics. I had a mason brick it in using traces of the original. The flue didn't meet code for two fireplaces. Its back to back with one in the room behind it. The door that was above the fireplace was relocated next to it for a new cabinet. I meant for it to look like a door over a beehive oven but that's not what its for. See next picture.
Living room after 2
Living room after 2
Front Living Room After_002.JPG (108.18 KiB) Viewed 650 times
I don't like looking at a lot of modern stuff in an old house. The picture flips up to reveal the TV (taken before installation), conduit carries the cables to the sound system at the lower left. All the speaker wiring is under the floor or in the walls.
Living room after 3
Living room after 3
Front Living Room After_005.JPG (118.39 KiB) Viewed 650 times

Jeff

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice; I am not a fan of electronics showing either. :thumbup:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jeff, a very nice home indeed. I like your idea of a flip up picture to hide the TV. We'll have the same problem with our system. Although a space behind a picture is not an option. At least I don't think it is.

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Here's a couple pictures of a bathroom I finished last spring. It was a total gut job.
1st Floor Bathroom.JPG
1st Floor Bathroom.JPG (107.97 KiB) Viewed 617 times
1st Floor Bathroom_.JPG
1st Floor Bathroom_.JPG (115.56 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Jeff

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Another project from a couple years ago. The original ell was torn down in the 1970s and rebuilt over the old foundation. This room was a 3 season porch with barn board walls and a concrete floor that looked like it was poured by a drunken cement worker. It was full of ripples and waves. A friend and I knocked out the two outer walls (2x4s had some water damage) and rebuilt them with 2x6s and insulated them. I put down sleepers on the floor and laid a thin insulation and a red pine floor. It's still unheated but all I have to do is open the kitchen door on one side or my workshop door on the other and it's warm for winter use.
Rear Entry Room.jpg
Rear Entry Room.jpg (83.9 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Rear Entry Room_.jpg
Rear Entry Room_.jpg (88.35 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Jeff

homescribehistory
Settling in

Post by homescribehistory »

Really nice job Jeff, those reno jobs look great and I love the painting you had done of the house. What a find on the photo, Google can do wonders sometimes.