Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Greetings from NH.

I was an occasional poster on OHW under the name Old Colonial. I'm the proud owner of a CA1806 colonial. I've traced the property deeds back to 1790 when it was purchased by Capt George Stone from the owner of the original land grant. Joseph Couch purchased the property in 1806. One of the local history books credits him with building the home. I haven't been able to find out if he actually built the home or enlarged an existing structure.

The house was abandoned in the 1960s-70s and was terrible condition according to neighbors. It had a hole in the roof, broken windows and the property was overgrown. In the 70s a well meaning person pretty much gutted the house removing the Indian Shutters. much of the woodwork and who know what else. He renovated by installing 70s paneling and barn board. The family we bought the house from had removed much of the paneling give us pretty much a clean slate to start over. With the help of a patient and angelic creature (otherwise known as my wife) I have been restoring the house for the last 11 years.

The attached picture comes from a stereograph I found online at the NYC library. It dates to the 1880s.

Jeff

Joseph Couch House
Joseph Couch House
Joseph Couch House.png (498.91 KiB) Viewed 832 times

Gothichome

Re: 1806

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to the District 1806 Colonial. What a nice home, looks to be in great condition when the picture was taken. You found on a stereo card, just luck or some realy great research? Would like to see more pics, and the pre Victorian people here always like to see one of their own sign up.

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Gothichome,

I started by getting copies of every deed on the property and probate records from Joseph Couch Sr and his son Joseph Jr. I periodically search the web for information on prior owners. When the picture was taken the house was owned by the son of the presumed builder, Joseph Lang Couch. In this case when I searched for "J Lang Couch" I got a hit big time at the NYC Public Library. There were a couple pictures of the house, a picture of Joseph and Abigail behind the house with a bushel of apples from the orchard, a picture of the old dirt road out front and a picture of his sister Eliza with her sons. Eliza's painted initials still exist inside a closet over the doorway. When I stripped the mantel in her room I discovered she had been a naughty girl. She wrote her name on the mantel before it was painted.
Eliza
Eliza
EC1827.JPG (34.07 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Other finds were a for sale listing in a publication from 1892. Ira A. Call was selling the house, 2 barns, workshop, 80 acres with 50 apple trees for $850. Somewhere I found a reference that Ira was also a carriage painter. I also found a picture of the gentleman who owned the home in the 40s and 50s sitting on the side steps with his siblings.

I'll post some house pictures later.
Jeff

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome to the old neighborhood!
where in nh? i'm in western mass...brother lives in Londonderry...I'm working on a few projects in enfield and Portsmouth and I hike in the whites....
I wonder why the majority of shutters are closed?
....jade

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Heartwood,

I'm in Webster, northwest of Concord.

Interesting observation on the shutters. I guess that's to be expected from a window restorer. I never really thought about it. It appears to be late fall. I would expect they would want some heat from the sun. Can't be too cold because Abigail has the door open and one upstairs window is open. Note, one Indian shutter is closed and another window has the top Indian shutter closed.

Are you doing the NH Old House Expo next spring? I've seen you there before but you were occupied with other people.

Jeff

Vala

Post by Vala »

Welcome to the District! Cool house and history. got any pics of the restoration work?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome!

In the picture posted they look more like louvres than "indian shutters"
Mick...

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Post by Mick_VT » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:39 pm

Welcome!

In the picture posted they look more like louvres than "indian shutters"

Mick,

On the first floor you can see Indian shutters through the windows that don't have the exterior shutters closed.

Jeff.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Ohhhh I wasnt even looking at the insides :D
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

By the way I feel your pain on the late C20th restoration. My place is a similar story, including the hole in the roof. It resulted in all plaster and original trim being removed... Oh andd vermiculite being installed
Mick...