Lower Brambly in Southern Maryland

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Lower Brambly in Southern Maryland

Post by phil »

would increasing max photo size create an issue where people uploaded pictures too big to fit?

some uploads have some way of storing the photo but also of displaying the image at a reduced size. Maybe there is an update available?
I always do as above. open with paint and resize it there. if you are going through your pictures and if you select one and do "select" then press control while you right click .. It will show in the context menu a choice of "open with"
click "open with" and from there you can open that photo to resize in paint , or you can change the default program to open pictures in and you can make it paint.. That way you can just doubleclick to open any picture and it will open in paint and allow you to resize and save it more quickly..

of course there are many ways to do the resizing , Photoshop can be set to resize all the pics in a folder as a batch but it is more than I could explain without having photoshop installed. and a licence for it is expensive.. Im sure most good graphics programs would have this ability, to resize all the photos in a folder. Can it be done with only the basics that windows comes with ?

When people resort to hosting their own pictures on varied picture posting websites that they are then subjecting others to a bunch of popups or prompts to sign in and join their favorite web hosting service. Opinions may vary on that but I find I often avoid going off the forum and to various websites to see the posters pictures.

Its just much nicer to keep the pictures pertaining to a post on the forum and avoid subjecting people to those kinds of websites.. I dont' want a membership to flicker and another to each of the others.. etc etc etc... I guess some would not agree and some are using various websites to make blogs and things about their projects.. so who am I to say but if it is just one picture it's so much nicer to just upload it to the forum.

Phil

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

I did use Photobucket at OHW, but think I posted directly from my computer at WG, which was much easier, I didn't have a size problem most of the time, although I didn't post lots of pictures. I thought I had Paint on this computer, but can't seem to find it. I may have to go back to Photobucket. I'll have to relearn Photobucket, its been so long since I used it. :lol:

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

This is a test to see if I can post a Photobucket picture. If it works, you will see the picture of Truman Thomas aka "Uncle Truman" that was left it the house. Notice his right eye, (our left side of the picture) it appears that he has a glass eye. When I was a child it always made me feel creepy because he always seemed to be looking at you, wherever you were. There are reflections on the glass, but nothing I can't explain.

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

And here is a road side view of the house with the river in the back.

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

First picture is one of the holes in the yard dug by the archaeology students. The second picture is looking into the hole at the cast iron pipe they discovered. It doesn't line up with any known plumbing in the house. Notice the oyster shell.

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

I have what I think are some unusual light fixtures. First one looks somewhat like marble, except of course it is glass in white with veins of yellow to orange.
Same fixture with the light on. the yellow doesn't really show up. And, yes, I have lots of Victorian furniture.
This one is white with green, another bedroom has one in white with pink.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

LB, glad you got the pictures to work. I believe that's the first lane side pic you have posted home looks very nice. Your river makes ours look like a trickle in the mud, is it tidal? The iron pipe, any chance it is part of the original pluming? gothic homes original pluming just had black iron piping draining straight in to the river. Not a big deal at the time with so few homes on the river. Nice art glass lamp shades, to my eye they have an Art Deco feel, or maybe a late art Nuevo styling. Either way they look great, any thoughts of getting a proper fixture for them?

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

Gothichome wrote:LB, glad you got the pictures to work. I believe that's the first lane side pic you have posted home looks very nice. Your river makes ours look like a trickle in the mud, is it tidal? The iron pipe, any chance it is part of the original pluming? gothic homes original pluming just had black iron piping draining straight in to the river. Not a big deal at the time with so few homes on the river. Nice art glass lamp shades, to my eye they have an Art Deco feel, or maybe a late art Nuevo styling. Either way they look great, any thoughts of getting a proper fixture for them?

Yes, Gothichome, the river is tidal, part of the Chesapeake Bay watershed. The farm is near the mouth so it is about 2 miles across to the opposite side and 10 miles across this river and the Potomac River to Virginia. The pipe must be part of the plumbing, however the plumbing was not on the end of the house. The septic is a large brick lined dry well. If the pipe continues straight ahead it would miss the dry well, but does seem to head in the direction of the river.

The light fixtures in the house are a little confusing. Being in such a rural area, electricity didn't arrive here at the farm until the 1950's. The dining room fixture looks like a 1950s chandelier, one bedroom with lower 8 foot ceiling has fixture from that time, but then there are these 3 bedroom fixtures. the gold cord they hang from is really very nice with fancy knots. I had not thought of doing anything different with them, they have always been this way. I did have an electrician check them out and he says they are safe. Since electricity arrived so late, I don't need to worry about knob and tube. I did however need to add lots of electrical outlets and a few wall switches. Several rooms had doors on opposite sides of the room but only one wall switch. I am looking for a different dining room fixture. I did replace the 1950's main hall fixtures with cranberry glass. I need to take pictures of them.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Yes, very nice pics and view.

I am wondering about the cast iron pipe, and am wowed by the house not having electricity until the 1950's. I have store bought boob lamps that were here when we got the place, those lamps of yours make me wonder what could have been here.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

glad you were able to post your pics for us to admire! how very nice...
yes, it does look like uncle Truman has a glass eye...I worked with a guy years ago who had a glass eye...one time he had a big piece of saw dust on the glass eyeball...he couldn't see it so I told him...without warning, he stuck his index finger in the socket, popped out the eye, washed it off and put it back in at which time I finally closed my gaping mouth!
...jade