Lower Brambly in Southern Maryland

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: Lower Brambly in Southern Maryland

Post by Don M »

My FIL had a glass eye. He went thru WWII in the Navy & came home unscathed only to have an eye injury at the plant where he worked. He tended to rub the right side of vehicles as he had no peripheral vision on the right side.

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

Friday, I received an email from the college professor conducting the archaeological dig. She applied to the National Park Service for a grant for more extensive work. She will receive the grant. She also indicated that the Park Service wants this site and 5 others related to native Americans in southern Maryland to be nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. This site and one other in a neighboring county need more work. I don't know enough to know what it means for me. She says I can still do whatever I want with it. I could bulldoze if I wanted, however she knows that will not happen. It seems almost overwhelming - just the thought of it. Still it is exciting!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I think it means more scholarly people will be showing up with shovels in the next few years. With very little still on the surface it would seem to be more of an academic exercise, they will dig about, get all giddy about it, and stick a pin on a map and put the location into some sort of context in the development of the area. As you know, all us old home folks, we get a bit giddy at the discovery of a shadow of a long gone wall in our home. And yes it is a bit exciting, except if they find your home is built on an Indian grave yard, at that point those mysterious noises in the night all make scence. :o

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

I had surprise visitors Sunday afternoon. Relatives of Truman Thomas, who built the house. They were cousins, not descendants, Truman was a bachelor. This was a family of dad, mom and 3 children. Dad's first and middle names were Truman Thomas. The current Truman Thomas said he remembered visiting as a child of 9 or 10. He said his 89 year old father has many stories of visiting the farm. Although he wanted to visit as well, he decided not to, fearing the farm would now be a housing development. They hope to return in warmer weather with the elderly father. I gave his the house address and suggested he do a Google Earth search, he can then see the farm is still a farm.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

an early thanksgiving gift! how nice of you to suggest they take a look on google earth to see the barn remains...I hope the grandfather does get to come for a visit...I bet he'll shed a tear or two and share a number of memories....
...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Good deal, was he able to enlighten you a bit adout the history? Did you mention the archeological stuff. The old fellow would have been a young man, some of the old buildings might have still been standing.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

It's always a good day when people that are connected to our old houses visit. That had to be a fun day for you. I hope the elderly man has the opportunity to visit the farm and share some memories with you. :)

Susan

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

Nicholas wrote:I have store bought boob lampsl

I'm almost afraid to ask what boob lamps might be... I'm imagining something like the "fragile" lamp in A Christmas Story.

Don M

Post by Don M »

lisascenic wrote:
Nicholas wrote:I have store bought boob lampsl

I'm almost afraid to ask what boob lamps might be... I'm imagining something like the "fragile" lamp in A Christmas Story.

No its a ceiling fixture available in big box stores, commonly installed in new houses. It's glass dome is shaped like a "boob" with a screw knob in the center similar to a nipple. :think: