Corsetiere from OHW and WG

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Corsetiere from OHW and WG

Post by Corsetière »

heartwood wrote:cort, I agree with al's suggestion of shellac...it will adhere to almost any finish and any finish will adhere to it...check this out: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

I have used 'general finishes' gel stain and finished it with their clear coat product...i'm not an expert at clear finishes and haven't experimented with shellac flakes and pigments...

good luck!
...jade
ps...I would say sorry about separating from your partner but it sounds like it was a good choice for you...

Thanks, Jade. It has been really positive for me. :)

And thanks, all, for the advice ! I'm making progress!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corsetiere, nice to see some progress, the finicky stuff really seems to slow down the perceived rate of progress though.
Did you find any original wallpaper?

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corsetiere, nice to see some progress, the finicky stuff really seems to slow down the perceived rate of progress though.

It's very pain staking. I am still debating with myself if I can start staining and sealing before all the spindles are stripped. I am getting nervous the bare wood is going to accidentally get stained by one of the contractors who are working on other areas...

TONS of wallpaper! I am documenting it. I will share in an extensive post on it. Sooooooo much good stuff! :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

If you are worried, you can wrap the rail with craft paper to protect it.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Corsetière wrote:
Gothichome wrote:Corsetiere, nice to see some progress, the finicky stuff really seems to slow down the perceived rate of progress though.

It's very pain staking. I am still debating with myself if I can start staining and sealing before all the spindles are stripped. I am getting nervous the bare wood is going to accidentally get stained by one of the contractors who are working on other areas...

TONS of wallpaper! I am documenting it. I will share in an extensive post on it. Sooooooo much good stuff! :)

you could throw a coat of shellac on it, quick and easy protection. also easy to remove again when you come to final finishing if you want.
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

when I tried the citristrip I found it kind of dissolved the paint but it wasn't good at bubbling under the paint which amounted to a lot of pushing the paint around rather than just putting it on and letting it sit until it bubbles and scraping it all off.

I'd try this one
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/mhk_cds ... 272pds.pdf

I get the 20 L pails, and its been a while since I needed one but I would say it was about 90 dollars canadian for a pail. but prices may vary our dollar is about 75c US now and hazardous products might limit shipping and sale of products ?

I use the heat gun to get the worst off, and if that goes good and it is something easy to scrape I don't need to use striper at least for the bulk of it, but If I use stripper I use the Mohawk one. Prices might vary from the US to Canada so it might be best to log in or to call the distributor closest to you. They have a lot to offer as far as other supplies like lacquer sticks , touch up pens shellac flakes or pucks, Lacquer, poly etc. It's more of a commercial vendor so they have a lot more in the way of professional products than is available in any big box store around here.