Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Eperot
Stalwart

Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Eperot »

Hello All.

Many familiar names around here, great to see! But for the newbies, here goes:

My name is Eric and I am an old house owner. Yes, that sounds like the opening to a twelve step program, but as far as I can tell there are no programs designed to help people like us!

Back in 2009 my then wife and I purchased this little house in Hackettstown, NJ. It was built in 1874 and originally inhabited by a stone mason named Jacob Beaty, along with his wife and children. By definition the house is an "I" house, named as such because of the ubiquity of this style in Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana (all states that start with "I") but can be found throughout the country. The main characteristics are that the gables are to the sides, so the shed roof is the frontal facade. It is at least two rooms long, one room deep, and two full stories tall. Often these houses are highly symmetrical with paired chimneys at the gable ends, a central staircase, and equal fenestration upstairs and down.

Being built in the Victorian era my house was finished in a simple "Folk" vernacular. Unlike certain local houses executed in the more ornate Queen Anne or Italianate styles, the Folk vernacular was the working man's house. Not to be totally outdone by richer neighbors, however, people with smaller Victorians could opt to display some hint of money with architectural embellishments and flourishes.The large overhanging eaves, eave returns, and ceiling heights are indicators that Jacob Beaty wanted to show the world he'd arrived. At one point there was also a full length front porch which would likely have been the most ornate component of the house.

When we took ownership, the house was much unloved but mercifully untouched as well. Aside from having lost the front porch at some point in the early-mid 20th century and the original slate roofing, much of the rest was intact. The house still wears the original German lap siding and wood trim, and all the original wooden windows are in place.

Walking into this house was sort of like triage at the Emergency Room...everything needed work, but some problems were worse than others. My fastidious nature means I try to tackle just one room at a time and do it from start to finish before moving on to the next project. The result is an interesting mix of shabby rooms in some areas and beautiful little gems in other corners of the house.

Some true hardcore puritanical types will cringe at my methods...I believe in fully gutting each room including the plaster walls, but they are all in terrible shape and it is much easier to run new electrical and insulate this way. I am also not strictly restoring the house to 100% originality. I have a vision for each space and occasionally alter things to make the house a tad more fancy, have more interesting details, and be more livable in the 21st century. My payoff is that I know how little love smaller old houses get as they are often seen around here as "starter homes" not worthy of the work or money. I know that I am the only person who would ever invest as much time, money, and hard work into this house. I think you'll agree.

Each year I try to do one room and at least one other side project. Thus far, I've done the following:

2009-2010 Bathroom, plus a host of re-wiring, insulating the attic, and a new boiler/hot water tank
Before:
After:

2010-2011 Study (Bedroom #3)

2011 Chimney Removal and Sill Replacement

2011-2012 Bedroom #1

2012 Repointing Foundation/Reframing, Restoring Basement Windows

2013 Gutting Hallway / Staircase

2014 - Divorce

2015 - Minor Landscaping / Back to the Hallway and Stairs

September 1st I must put the final details (finishing newels, installing railings) on hold to begin gutting my living room. I have to get my 4 windows in that room restored before the cold weather arrives. So more will come shortly! Hope you enjoy!
-Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Nicholas »

Very nice, love the before and afters, amazing work that you have done. Great job on the bathroom, are the fixtures original, or did you replace as was with newer?

How is the kitchen?
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome Eperot! What a great update, and great work! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mick...

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thanks for the compliments! no, the bathroom fixtures are all new. There was nothing worth salvaging. Everything was from the 1970's (need I say more?) so it had to go. The only original fixture was a poor condition Crane tub that was too long to reorient at the end of the bathroom like it currently is, so I got a new slightly shorter clawfoot. That said, I am very sensitive to wanting fixtures that look period correct, and since the bath was put in around 1925, decided to go with the "sanitary" era look with exposed plumbing, a serpentine console sink, high tank toilet, and subway/hex tiles.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Welcome to The District eperot!

I remember you and your house well from the other sites. That bathroom makeover is stunning, not to mention that staircase paneling and well, ALL the other rooms you have tackled. You do very beautiful work! A true inspiration to those of us just starting out on our old house adventures.

Do you plan to ever restore the full front porch?

Thanks for sharing all the great pictures. Look forward to following your progress.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hey Eric,

Glad you made it! The work you've done is really fantastic! I especially like the details - the magazine rack in the bathroom, for example, and the door & transom hardware. Nice!

Chris

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Another little house owner; I like a little house, just right for a bachelor and a hound!

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

You do great work. Love that first set of photos from your bathroom. Wow! you should be proud of that one.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Well, to answer everyone's questions:
Front Porch: You betcha. It is definitely on the roster. It will be difficult to replicate as I have no pictures of it with the porch, so unless i find one it will be my interpretation. The only thing I do know is the shape of the roof and porch floor footprint from the drawing of my house in a late 1800's Sanborn Fire Insurance map. So there's a start. One thing is certain, all my neighbors will hate me for removing the current portico, mostly because they are used to it. But they'll have to deal. :thumbup:

Kitchen: is an abomination. No, really, it is serviceable and fine for the moment, but I have big plans for it and have already scored a 1929 Standard low tank toilet and corner sink for a half bath that will be added next to the kitchen, and a 6 foot long double drainboard farmhouse sink from 1941 that is mint for the kitchen itself.

No one knows this but Chris (CS in Low Hud) actually gave me an unused window from his house which was the perfect size for my bathroom since the bathroom was the only room with a crappy replacement. So our houses are forevermore linked. :thumbup:

Hound? Actually two hounds...greyhounds to be exact. Miles and Davis. The husky you can see atop the stairs was my ex-wife's dog.

Proud? Certainly, and I know the bathroom usually gets the most attention from people but I am equally proud of everything else I've done. It is a lot of hard work...I have only ever hired out one contractor to update the boiler and hot water setup. So everything that happens in this joint is totally done by me. I've become my own carpenter, tiler, plumber, electrician, stone mason, floor sander and finisher, sheetrocker, painter, etc.....and I always get a kick out of people who tell me their horror stories of getting a kitchen or bathroom redone. "It was so hard to do....the contractors would never show up on time, cost overages, ugh." They've never picked up anything but a pen to write checks. :lol:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

I'm very glad you took the time to write all about the house's history and your approach how you are working on it. It's lovely a house and inspiring to us newbies!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan