Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Gothichome

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Gothichome »

Just got to love the unfolding of the homes history and changes. Makes it all worthwhile.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks for posting pictures of the house , It looks so similar to my house in the things you have tackled and your methods. Your workmanship is excellent and I can relate to how you get into the details of one room at a time , doing a really nice job and moving on rather than wishing you'd done a better job.
I agree with opening the walls and many others won't but insulation is a great invention isn't it?

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Mick, nahhh. I like the current single entrance. It would be unique, that's for sure, but I've already done so much work in building some yet unseen (by pics) door frames to the front and sides. The inner doors will now have a curved top transom along with fixed long transoms above the openings to the parlour and dining rooms. I also have a super sweet pair of double doors with etched glass that will be going in as the outer doors.

As an update, my house is an interesting mix of construction zones. I've got two windows out of the parlour and just finished painting the outside trim after scraping everything bare. Then I used my kitchen table to glaze my nice clean primed sash until 3 AM on Sunday. They are drying in the kitchen, currently stacked in front of the dishwasher. Sometimes I look around and think I've lost it. :lol:

By the way, the weather is going to get cold sooner than I'd like, and I still have two more windows to do once these others are back in. We are a special breed, aren't we?
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Yes, I know how it works. I had three windows going at once. One in colour, second in primer and the third at some point of repair or scraping. The storm of the first window was used to plug the hole of the third window. Just kept going like that until all the windows were done. It was nice to see them all done and working properly once again.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Been meaning to ask you, why did you remove your chimney?

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Many reasons. First, the chimney was in very bad repair, unlined, above roofline was basically bricks stacked like Jenga...all the soft mortar was gone. Also, it only serviced the boiler and my new boiler is a direct vent. Third, l had to jack the house up on that side to replace the sill which would have been disastrous. And lastly, by removing it l opened up the space inside the faux fireplace bumpout to install a direct vent zero clearance fireplace. So l can finally curl up in my wingback next to the Christmas tree with a hot cocoa and a good book with a fire on :dance:
Last edited by Eperot on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Well, here are some before and afters of the Parlour windows. There are 4 of them, and all were quite shabby looking as you'll agree. I was amazed at just how solid the wood was for windows 140 years old. Hopefully they can last another 140! :thumbup:

16 big panes of wavy goodness... :dance:
-Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

what a transformation and thing of beauty! it takes an old house lover to see beyond the peeling paint and failed putty to the beauty that rewards you once the task is done....really like the colors you chose...easy on the eyes, warm....
....jade

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

This gives me hope as I embark shortly!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Eric, well done. Nice thin putty work, straight paint lines and as others have mentioned all done I great colours.