Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
heartwood

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by heartwood »

eric, you have every reason to be proud...what a gem! your work is so impressive....are you finding time to restore windows as a paid gig? do either of your dogs play the trumpet? do you have a late 2015 photo of yourself smiling?
glad you are here......
...jade

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Awesome work - I remember seeing this house a long time ago (probably on OHW) and being envious of the floors. Now a couple years have gone by and I too have a few rooms with refinished pine floors to enjoy!

Folk/vernacular houses are probably my favorite of all. It looks like sacrificing the plaster walls was well worth it in your case, and your restoration style certainly makes up for it. I bet if I had wall cavities to insulate I would be gutting my house room-by-room too.

It's hard to change some people's mind set about "starter homes" in this area too. Plenty of people are in awe of the great High Victorians yet they completely destroy their own more modest home with vinyl, new windows, and other modern garbage. This, however, benefits me, because it's how I have picked up a lot of my reclaimed salvage material - teardowns and reno's!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Geez, Eric--I'd marry you based on that bathroom alone. ;) Great work on a lovely house.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Jade: No, no window jobs now. I am actually really liking having some time of my own to just work on the house again. Last summer's gangbuster session of restoring a whole victorian house worth of windows kinda burned me out, being that I already have a full time job. I'm thankful for the money though. For now, I'm just interested in restoring more of my own. And that picture is of me smiling. You should see my scowl. (just kidding!)

Nezwick, i remember you too. Would love to see some pics...I'll check around to see if you've posted some. As far as "starter homes", I mean, this house has three bedrooms. I know it's only 1,500Sq feet, but how much room do people need? I consider it my "starter" and "forever" house. :)

Sow's Ear, well, I am single again. :lol:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

2015 - Finally New Project Begun...The Parlor

This is the canvas as of this morning. It doesn't look terrible, but trust me, it is. So happy to be working on something new! I'm hopeful that this room will be a real showpiece. Time will tell.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Eporot (Eric). Glad you made it over, I love the work you have put in to your home, I feel like such a slacker or at least fortunate Gothichome is such great original condition. Any how welcome.

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

Hey I know that house!

Welcome back Eperot... Sorry to hear about the D. Always nice to see photos of your work though... you do an amazing job... something for us mere mortals to aspire to :)
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Oh come on, Harkin. I've seen the work you do and it is fabulous. I will actually be constructing a hearth in the parlor based on one of yours that I saw when I install a fireplace. :thumbup:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hey Eric. Would you mind sharing your re-pointing formula? I have to do all four sides of my house this fall and I'm gathering a huge body of info before I start. (mostly as a procrastination exercise) Thanks, Mal

Don M

Post by Don M »

Hi Eric,
Glad to see all your recent work. I especially like your wainscoting on your stairway. Very nice indeed!
Don