Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Mick_VT

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Mick_VT »

Eperot wrote:Another cool thing that happened to me this summer was a phone call from my ex-wife's mother. She had given us the antique pine cabinet you see here and when the divorce happened, the cabinet left as well. Well, after some thought she decided to offer it to me, and I jumped at the chance. Assuming she was selling it I asked her how much....and she said "for you, it's free. I never should have taken it in the first place, and it wants to live in your home." I thought that was very generous. And indeed, it is home once more, for good.

Going through my own marital split over the past year... this made me smile. thank you for sharing it Eric
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Interesting design, looks very distinctly central-European with the rabbeted door and matching hinges! Our original kitchen built-ins (in Austria) have the same style of round grate but simpler, less ornate hinges. A cabinet like that would look right at home in a ca-1900 kitchen in Austria!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Ah...you guys are breaking my heart. Here's to you finding someone new, who's an equal old house nut. Sometimes fate knows what it's doing.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Spoiler alert: This post has nothing to do with old houses.

In full disclosure, Mal...I'm actually really digging the single life, and may never go back to a LTR again. Before I was married, I was a pretty content guy who didn't really "need" a partner for anything besides occasional companionship and some unmentionable fun :silent: When I got married I was content and would have likely remained married, although to my own detriment. My ex was not a terribly happy person and looked for it in external ways rather than drawing from an internal well of what is truly meaningful. This resulted in a lot of cash hemorrhaging on impulse purchases as temporary "happiness" band-aids, which are always short term and never address the root problem. Eventually, she sought happiness with another man and ended the marriage. And I have run into her recently and guess what....she's no better off. So things have really improved in my life even with one less income, and I am much less stressed out personally and financially. I also found it was very easy for me to resume single life again. Perhaps people like me just do better alone.
Although, it would be fun and I do hope to eventually do some casual dating. Going out for a nice dinner and conversation, snuggling on the couch with a good movie, and yes, unmentionable fun are definite highlights I miss.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Well then... (raising a glass of decidedly unsophisticated pink zinfandel)...here's to Contentment. You can't put a price on that. You really can't. :thumbup:

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Oh--- and a Beemer can not bring happiness. Only a tractor can do that. (winky face)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I found a Ford Raptor gets you very close :D
Mick...

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Actually, I will say that as much as I don't believe "stuff" buys happiness....that car has definitely made a difference. If you are going to have a car, as most of us need one, you may as well have one you like. I already have my VW bus that is aged and needs occasional work...having two cars in need of repairs was becoming annoying, especially when things are so rusty that bolts don't come out anymore...they snap off. Now I just get in, pop it in gear and drive. Having air conditioning again is simply magnificent too, as my 25 year old GTI was lacking it for the past decade. Nearing 40 these things start to matter.
Last edited by Eperot on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Two hard days of demolition down and the dining room is bare studs. I'm too tired to post pics, but I found some interesting things...lots of electrical no-no's, (still amazed this house is here in 2016), an old hammer, a screwdriver I dropped by accident down from the second floor in 2009, a history book from Indiana University 1891, a wooden wheel from a child's toy, and the smallest of all the leather shoes I have found. It's gotta be for a toddler. Cute. Oh, and a big old bee's nest. Thankfully, it was old and empty. That could have ended real bad otherwise.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I am single and somewhat content...my play car is a 2007 vw rabbit that still has a ton of pick up and can hug a corner going 70.......I don't envy eric for his contentment or his beemer...I envy you for having the time to do all that work and for having all that talent and for having a former mother in law who realizes that you are a worthy young man!...I so want to be in my house taking out walls and making my kitchen more user friendly in case a friend wants to come over and bake a pie--ha, I am not a cook or a baker but I can sure clean up after all is said and done!

I began residing my shed (realtor called it a 'garage and carport--hyperbolic observation!)...it told me 'um, actually, I need to be mostly reframed from the sill to the rafters....it leans an inch and a half out from side to side and 2 inches from front to back...it will remain leaning otherwise it would need to be taken down to dirt and rebuilt...anyway, I found a wasp's nest the hard way...5 stings in 4 days...one time it was two stings at a time--in the neck and arm...first time in 61 years I had a reaction, not anaphylactic but terrible hives and racing heart...ate two Benadryl's and slept for 16 hours!!! I really didn't want to spray the nest with poison but my options were limited...it's always nice when neighbor's stop by to compliment my efforts...

sow's ear....wish I lived closer so I could make a visit and raise a glass to your work and sense of humor!

...jade