Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Lily left the valley »

Looks faboo! :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

Your color scheme works really well too. I hope when we work on Beebe's exterior it comes out half as well as yours.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thanks, All!

And as promised, the fireplace which l finished installing the day before Thanksgiving. It’s great.

Also, l’ve lost my mind and purchased a 1959 Glasspar Seafair cabin cruiser in need of restoration....you know, for when l have time one day :crazy:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

You went with the top of the line Valure insert, very nice and a very appropriate look. And the boat, you will need a 59 station wagon to tow it with now. I sense fibreglass dust and gel coat in your future.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Good eye! It is the Valor Windsor Arch, and although not cheap (l mean, l think l “finished” the Living room 4 years ago?) it was worth the wait. It works like a charm and the picture doesn’t do it justice. The flame pattern, the embers, the whole look of the casting really fits the house. The only thing missing is the crackle, but also the mess. There’s going to be another of these eventually in the dining room too.

Yup, there will be head to toe covering on my body when it comes time to sand that fiberglass. And a respirator. Don’t want to mess with breathing that stuff in. But l’ve got the Jeep to tow. I’ve got to draw the line somewhere:)
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have a similar project. mine might be a little smaller 19 feet. It might be around 1980 or so but i could be off . The trailer just has 2 wheels but it has trailer ( surge) brakes which I rebuilt. Mine doesn't have a roof other than the original cloth top which I've stored away. i just use tarps. The racoons made it a home for a while so maybe I need to do the seats or find new seats, but they seemed really heavy anyway and I thought maybe putting lighter ones in would make it go faster. mine has a force ( mercury) 85HP outboard from the early 80's. It runs fine until I get a mile from the dock then dies out. I think it's an ignition issue and I have some parts to try to solve it. ( coil gets warm then dies maybe) could be a stator or trigger issue. it has 4 cylinders 4 carbs but I think they work ok. It idled fine and would go full tilt for a few minutes. The issue seemed repeatable.
Like yours, mine also has a glass windshield so it isn't fogged like the plexiglass ones always are. Our summer place is on a 13 mile long lake , in the mornings its usually like glass but then the winds typically pick up around 3 PM , it can get very gusty so I feel safe with it being a bit deeper V than many and able to take the rough water as long as the motor doesn't die. I just have a 4 HP fishing motor so I'd like to find something like about a 9.9 long shaft, so it can be safer to get back with if it does conk out. the 4 will push it fine for fishing just not in the wind. mine has a hydraulic tilt and that seemed to leak down a bit so it would change the motor angle. I did rebuild the cylinders for that so Ill see how it does. at worst I can block the motor into position with a block of wood or something. I dont think the water got into the wood parts but its hard to tell by just looking. I did a little patch on the hull but it wasn't bad , just had some wear from being beached.
I dont think mine was ever used in the salt, at least the motor isn't corroded like they usually are. The guy I got it from used it in the river , in brackish water but it might not have really seen actual salt.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Phil,
Your eye is being fooled by the cabin cruiser lines into thinking my boat is bigger than it is...it is actually 17 and a half feet. The cuddy cabin has two berths and if you can believe it, a marine head.
The engine is a 1959 Evinrude Starflite 75hp, original to the boat. It spent it's life on the Missouri River so the fresh water obviously helped. Unknown if it runs but it isn't frozen up so I will definitely be restoring it along with the boat. While the boat is fiberglass, the transom, stringers and floor are wood and they are all rotted out. So it will need a lot of work. But like the house, I think it will yield some good results and a lot of fun in the process..,.both restoring and then using!

Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it did look bigger, maybe because of the 4 wheels too. Not sure how much they use craigslist out there but here I find if I search for "free" within boats I find a lot where they are giving the boat away but not the motor or trailer. Maybe because of rot. one could have lots of boats if they had the space I suppose. Im so often tempted. When you do the repairs I'd use epoxy resin not fiberglass resin. Johnsen/evinrude (OMC) might be easier to get parts for and that's a good size, you can probably water ski with it.
as kids we had a cobra, which has a shallow V but only an 18 horse and we could waterski with it albeit a bit slow, still fun. we had many hours of enjoyment with that. The bigger motors really hog the fuel.
I love the permanent top on yours, keeps the rain out of most of it and gives it a classic comfortable look. I keep wanting to make a fiberglass top for mine, just for storage. I think if I cover it with plastic and just lay it up so it can form fit and shed all the water then I wont need tarps so much and the raccoons won't keep moving in. If they do move in, I put a radio in there and torture them with country music or the traffic report station for a day or two ;-)

OLDisBETTER
Just Arrived

Post by OLDisBETTER »

Eric- what are the dimensions of your windows on the main floor (front) of your house? What is the sill height and ceiling height in those rooms? I am trying to put it into perspective for our own remodel. We have gone for big windows in our Folk Victorian style remodel for a few reasons: we live in the northwest and it's cloudy a lot, the home sits in a darker corner of the yard, I love natural light, and I love bringing the outside in. But sometimes, it feels like I may have gone overboard.... :D

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

OLDisBETTER,
Sometimes old homes DO have great big windows. Like mine! They are comparatively huge compared to most newer homes.
In answer to your question, the first floor windows are 6' (that's the sash, not counting the moldings). The floor to the top of the window sill is only 23", and the ceiling height on the first floor is 102". Hope that helps!
Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Eric,

Somehow, I just realized you're in Hackettstown! If you're ever in the Westwood area, PM me. I'm sure we could talk old houses for days over a cup o' Joe!

Your house looks amazing. Your siding and structural work are really impressive. I love the paint colors and your windows! Kudos on a top-notch resto!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham