Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Eperot
Stalwart

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Eperot »

Yeah, I've been at it but with some slacking. Yesterday I binge watched all 11 episodes of Mad Men season 1. It was a wonderful day :)
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Progress has been made. All my newel posts, balusters, handrails and the entry doors and transoms are done and look great. pics will have to come later. With that done I got back into the parlour full time and just finished strapping out my ceiling...180 individual crossings of joists and strapping, each needing individual shimming. Sore neck? Check.

Tomorrow I'm going down to Home Depot to rent a drywall lift and the ceiling should be sheetrocked by dinnertime.
Feels good to be back in the swing of things. :thumbup:
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Good. Sometimes it's hard to jump-start the progress. My house project needs a defibrillator. Too many distractions. We have a lovely storm coming, all ice pellets and freezing rain. Workshop is way to cold for me to venture in there and pick a task. But spring will eventually come, and with it some renewed energy. (it will, right??)

Looking forward to your pics.--Mal

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

My god, I really need to give you folks an update worth something. I really have been working, I promise!

So here are some pictures of finishing up the stairs with my newels and banisters, the entry doors/transoms, and whatnot. I am waiting to finish the floors and stair treads until the living room is ready for the same.

And part of the reason I got nothing done in June...after 18 years of my beloved VW GTI I decided it was time for some new-ish wheels. Hey, you only come this way once. :D Shameless, I know. I'm thinking my chances of getting a date may be helped out with this? :lol:

Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

over the top impressed eric! such dedication....these days I sulk around looking at the crappy 'handyman' work combined with delayed maintenance on my house and think "i will never get this place to where I want it"...now I have a bit more confidence that I will--thanks! I can do much of the work myself, just a matter of putting aside the time...
....jade

ps...I hope you find a woman who can appreciate your talents at making a house a home.....

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hey Eric! House looks beautiful. And nice wheels btw. Glad to see more of your work. --Mal

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Hi Eric, beautiful workmanship, and nice ride!
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Eric, great work, the stairs and enterance are great. They just seem to fit in with the homes age.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thank you, all! I had an awful lot of fun making the newel posts. They took some time but turned out well enough that it was worth it, and I think they look fairly appropriate. I look forward to sharing more stuff. My only wish is that I had gotten the parlour finished by now. Alas, time is precious and money too. There's only so much to go around. It is getting close though. But as I said elsewhere, I have to put it on hold until November so I can do the dirty work to the dining room and get it all buttoned up before it gets to heating season. Then I can return my attention to finishing the parlour. Really it's just crown and ceiling mouldings, wallpaper, paint, and floor finish. The bulk of everything else is complete.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Another cool thing that happened to me this summer was a phone call from my ex-wife's mother. She had given us the antique pine cabinet you see here and when the divorce happened, the cabinet left as well. Well, after some thought she decided to offer it to me, and I jumped at the chance. Assuming she was selling it I asked her how much....and she said "for you, it's free. I never should have taken it in the first place, and it wants to live in your home." I thought that was very generous. And indeed, it is home once more, for good.

Jacob Beaty House, 1874.