Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Eperot
Stalwart

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Eperot »

A side note on interior comfort:

When I first moved into the house in 2009, it was a mostly chilly affair in winter. As heat rises, the second floor was always infinitely more comfortable than the first. This became glaringly obvious by 2015, when the upstairs was finished (but for one room) with an insulated ceiling, insulated walls, caulked trim, firestops in the balloon framed cavities slowing the movement of air, and restored windows with the latest in weatherstripping technology (J/K...Spring Bronze!). Maintaining a comfortable 68* Fahrenheit was no problem even during deep freezes.

The downstairs, however, was a dismal affair when temperatures dropped on the coldest nights of the year....on one particular single degree night I noted the forced hot air pumping non-stop 24 hours while only achieving a meager 57 degrees.

Two years later it is currently 13 degrees outside and with the living room nearly finished, interior doors closing off the ice-box of an airlock entry, and a bare studs-and-insulation dining room, I am happy to announce that the first floor is now capable of not only reaching 68*, but also allowing for the system to shut down, if only for a few minutes. Hey, it's huge progress!
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

When I read entries like this, it brings to mind the insulation thread elsewhere. Despite what some folks think and promote, there really are viable choices, blend of old/new or not, that can make a dramatic difference in an old home's comforts without ripping out this or that because "it's what everyone does".

From my readings here on the District, folks can and do make a wide variety of choices as to which aspects of what ever needs attention to improve the comfort of their home is best for them. I learn a lot more hearing the processes folks go through than following any cut and dry "how to" guide, because no two homes are exactly alike. It also makes me use my noodle and think through decisions better too.

I find this very heartening as I ponder about how leaky the Baker Bungalow may be.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Eric, we can relate, when we first bought Gothichome it was cold a drafty. And the beast of a furnace, fired up on Early November and wouldn't shut down till April. Old, cold and brafty, I think that is pretty standard for our old homes when we first bought.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Hello all,

I'm still here! And no, the parlour isn't done yet... :wtf:
Basically, I just massively underestimated the sheer amount of time my cabinetry and trim was going to take. I am saving pics for now so I have a better big reveal, but I made my life more difficult than I had to by building corner cabinets that are not only barrel backed but round topped as well, plus a really trick surprise above the fireplace. I am truly in the home stretch, but got word that my crown molding is back ordered until THE END OF MAY! (Seriously?)
Today I did the moldings on the ceiling itself and the medallion, and it's all looking pretty stellar. With the delay of the crown I will end up finishing the floor, bricking the hearth, and putting up the picture rails. Then I'll turn to finishing my long un-finished stair treads and hallway floor which have been under rosin paper for years now. With that space 100% done, I'll install the crown, paint it, and then do the wallpaper. Then move in. Best guess? End of June. Oh well. Better late than never.

Hope you are all well!
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Eperot wrote:Hello all,

I'm still here! And no, the parlour isn't done yet... :wtf:

Well, there he is! I was just wondering where you had got to a few days ago... looking forward to that reveal... my equally long dining room project is edging closer to completion too
Mick...

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

No. We need more. ;)

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Wouldn't you know it, just as I finish the parlour it turns out Photobucket has decided to charge for 3rd party photo hosting and so all my photos are pulled for ransom. Anyone use any decent free hosting sites so I can get my pics back up, (or maybe I should just pay up...)

The room looks grrrreat!
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Eperot wrote:Wouldn't you know it, just as I finish the parlour it turns out Photobucket has decided to charge for 3rd party photo hosting and so all my photos are pulled for ransom. Anyone use any decent free hosting sites so I can get my pics back up, (or maybe I should just pay up...)

The room looks grrrreat!
We have the free galleries here now, which you can create subfolders for through your control panel.

I still have to make up my mind about a 3rd party for another hobby's images I can't store on the site they're shared on. I didn't get an e-mail from them until well over a week after they made the change.

That reminds me...I think some of my earliest posts here were before the gallery, and I should go back to my old Dragons post and some others to look for missing images that I likely had on PB.

*scribbles note to self*
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thanks for letting me know about the new galleries! I'm still not sure how (and far too tired) to link pictures in this text from my gallery, but suffice to say...it's there. So please, view my gallery!
(and someone kind enough to teach me...is there a way to use gallery images here on my thread?)

I still need to make my curtains and install switch and outlet cover plates, plus furnish. But you get the idea.

Enjoy!
I'm off to bed.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Wow, beautiful result. You inspire us all to raise our game. I hate you, lol. --Mal