Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Lily left the valley »

Eperot wrote:Thanks for letting me know about the new galleries! I'm still not sure how (and far too tired) to link pictures in this text from my gallery, but suffice to say...it's there. So please, view my gallery!
(and someone kind enough to teach me...is there a way to use gallery images here on my thread?)

I still need to make my curtains and install switch and outlet cover plates, plus furnish. But you get the idea.

Enjoy!
I'm off to bed.

Gallery linking basics: When you enter your gallery, you'll see the file path this site uses above the title of "Eperot" which is the name of your personal gallery. It looks like this: District Home/Index/Gallery/Personal albums/Eperot. You also see the thumbnails of all the images you have uploaded. If you click on any one of those thumbnails, it will open a new file page specific to that image.

So let's say we click on "018", which would bring you to this address: https://thehistoricdistrict.org/gallery/image/785. Don't be confused by the 785, because that's the site's designation for that image, not the name you give it at any given time. This also means both that it is what's known as a "perma link", and that you can change any info on that page (save deleting the image and thus, the page) like the name or the description or the orientation, and it will always be 785 as the reference lookup for this site. So anywhere you link to that image will never "break" the link later if you make changes later unless the change is to delete the image from your gallery here.

If you look below the image on that page, you will see a series of links in boxes. Each serves different purposes.
The upper box, "Image-URL:" will yield only a text link to that gallery page if you cut and paste it into a forum post here. Like so:
https://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/gallery/image/785
Folks who click on that link will be directly sent to that specific page in your gallery, meaning they'd have to hit the back button to get back to the post you inserted the link into.

The lower two, under "Image BBcode:" can be used to add your gallery's thumbnail images to posts that will be clickable with links to the gallery page they link from if someone clicks on them. However, each creates different sorts of links although they appear the same at first unless you notice the second has a faint underline to it.
and
respectively.

The first image will immediately send the clicker to that page in your gallery as the text link does which would require them to use the back button to get back to the forum post, but the second will pop open a new tab or window (depending on their browser set up) while still leaving the forum post you linked from open in its original tab/window. I typically use the second variant.

If you want to use the second, but want the full size image, past the code there, then change the "/mini" at the end to "/source". That will show the full size image instead of the thumbnail, like so:

So that's the posting images from your gallery basics.

If you want to make subalbums (which act just like subfolders on your hard drive), you can do that only through your user control panel on the upper right corner dropdown from your username of each District page. If you want to see what a gallery looks like with additional subalbums, you can see a lot of examples on my page. I even have subs of subs in some cases.

If you look at a gallery that has images in the original main personal gallery and also has subalbums, you'll see that the subalbums are listed before the images in the main like with Bonnie's gallery. (I only have one image not in a subalbum in mine, so I linked hers because it's a bit more clear how the gallery visually separates the two.)

To make subalbums, when you go into your control panel, you'll see the sub navigation tabs in various shades of gray that look like the tops of a file folder. Gallery will be to the far right. When you click on it, you'll see "Manage your subalbums", with a button at the bottom of a list (or lack thereof) that says "Create subalbum".
- Clicking that will bring you to a new subalbum page, and you write in a name and description as desired. Click "Submit" when done, which will bring up a notice that it was created, and give you a link to click to return to the previous page "Manage your subalbums".

Now that you have at least one subalbum, you will see a list of them below the heading "ATTACHED SUBALBUMS" with controls for each to the far right.
- The ^ and v allow you to shuffle the viewing order of any subalbums you create. This means when folks go to your personal gallery page "Eperot", the order the sub albums will be however you organize them via those controls.

- The "Gear" icon will allow you to edit the name and other details of any subalbum you have already created.

- The x will delete any subalbum, although you will get asked if you really want to do that or not before it deletes it. If there are images in that subalbum, it will delete them as well as the subalbum itself! So if you are culling down subalbums later, don't forget to move images out of that album (through the individual images' pages) before deleting the subfolder.

If you ever feel lost when adding images to subalbums, remember you can always look at the file path to see where you are. You can click that path to get to your main "Eperot" page to go to other subalbums easily.

-- One last note regarding subalbums. Your permalink address per image will not change no matter what subalbum they are within. This aspect of storage is unlike your computer's subfolders (and also differs from Photobucket which I think you mentioned you've used), but they coded/designed it as a visual organization rather than a more typical file based. What that means is the "subalbums" are merely a visual construct of organization, rather than both visual and file path based. So if you later decide to shuffle them to different subalbums, you will not have to worry about broken links from links you posted prior to the shuffle. What I know is confusing is that if you delete a subalbum without shuffling the images within elsewhere, it will delete those too. Again, visual construct while maintaining permalink status for all images.
---If you are still confused about this point, think of Xmas lights. You have those that are wired in series, and those in parallel. The Gallery here has a different code written that acts as a parallel wiring. So no matter where the images are on the wire (file path), they will always appear in the socket (subalbum) they were placed within, even if another socket fries (a different subalbum gets deleted with all the images therein). The only time any individual bulb (image) will not light (broken link) is if you remove the bulb (delete that image) or the socket (subalbum) it was within without moving the bulb (image) to a different socket (subalbum) than the socket (subalbum) you are about to remove (delete).

If anything I wrote above is not clear, please let me know and I will adjust it better or add a visual aid.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, thanks for that tutorial. Can you refraze, starting with 'turn your computer on'. :-)
Well, not really. Mick if you haven't already this would be handy in foram help section.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Eric, nice work once again. Your usual thoroughness. Nice touch getting that third complimentary colour into the ceiling.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thanks so much for the tutorial, Lily! Very helpful.

So here we are. Still to come is the gas fireplace insert which will take some time as the one I want isn't cheap. I just stuck some sheetrock behind the mantle for now.

Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

:thumbup: Fantastic.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbup: Wow, beautiful room; terrific work! :thumbup:

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

I used the end of summer and early fall to take a little R&R, but did manage to finally restore the double door set I've had stored in my house for the last 8 years. The house originally had paired doors which were lost some time ago, but miraculously, I stumbled across a house that was to be torn down and it had a decent restorable set the right width of my opening. Here's one undergoing restoration:

The doors came with all of their original hardware in place, including locks, knobs, hinges and slidebolts. It took some serious TLC but the results speak for themselves.

Because the doors were taller than the old setup I had intended to cut them down but after some inquiry here and inspection I think taking the doors apart would have destroyed them. instead, I had to make the header smaller than original and move it up a few inches, and build a shorter transom window (Wavy glass, naturally.)

Here are the restored doors with the transom just glazed

In early November I managed to strip the ungodly amount of paint off the outside trim. Unfortunately, the cold weather stopped me from getting it repainted. Note: The date plaque pictured is wrong. Still from the previous owner. House is really 1874.
Then about two weeks ago I managed to swap out the old door, transom and sidelites. It really changed the look of the house big time. I am IN LOVE with the new setup.

I also love the fact that I finally have a real cool key!

Happy Holidays!

Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Everything about the change is terrific. Congratulations on a job well done.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Really looks great! I love the gentle colour.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Excellent work as always; beautiful result!