Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: Jacob Beaty House (1874 Folk Victorian)

Post by Don M »

Just read thru your entire post here! I tend to forget that I have posted here several times. I am so impressed with the quality of your work. I also liked your comments about your single vs. married life. I am dealing with this after the death of my spouse after 41 years. Life goes along & fortunately I have my two sons, two dogs (1 new puppy) & 3 horses for company. I have some good neighbors to visit periodically. I am at the point where I am considering retirement (again) & deciding what to do for the next stage of my life. :thumbup:

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Don...so sorry for your loss.

Jade, you're welcome any time. Just watch your step for the goose turds. Re wasps; Are you carrying an epipen now? Hubby got stung multiple times two years ago, had a serious reaction for the first time in his life too. He's supposed to carry one. (doesn't of course. He won't tie off while on the roof either.)

Eric...CONCEALMENT SHOE!! So cool, must see pics.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

mal...I do indeed have TWO epipens now...I have one at home and one that travels with me...with insurance, they cost me very little...I let folks in my small neighborhood know that they are welcome to come to my house for a 'stab' if they are stung...the pens are only good for a year and, around here, are only necessary for 6 months of the year...

...jade

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I walked away from a 18 year marriage after finally coming to terms with the fact that I would never have been respected, or valued for anything other than my (then) looks. Eventually, I remarried and what a difference! I could have been perfectly happy on my own, but then I met my now husband, who is truly a jewel. It is nice having my best friend living with me. I think it is very hard to find just the right person.

springmoon33
Knows the area

Post by springmoon33 »

We need an update! :popcorn:

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

:lol: I think it's great that you folks are interested enough to ask for updates! So I'll give you the latest (sorry, no pics for now). So the demolition is now 100% done as I just pulled up and got rid of the top floor to get back to the originals, and I can say with great joy that unlike the dining room, there is no thick paint to get through which should make sanding infinitely easier. The floors are actually in pretty great shape...the best of any room so far. All I need to do is pound all the nails into the floor a bit deeper so the sander won't hit, and Tuesday I am renting my favorite Home Depot drum sander that has treated me so well thus far. Also, the two windows that are original have been restored fully and are back in place. The glass I used is really awesome...probably the worst I have (the uninitiated newer home owners always laugh when I say that..."I found the most messed-up, imperfect, wavy seeded glass...it's GREAT!"
A third window will be removed and the wall studded and closed again as it was a later addition and doesn't match in size, style, or quality. So after the floor is sanded, I just have to run my rough electrical and then insulate. All things considered, I should keep right to my schedule of being buttoned up and back to work finishing the parlour on November 1. So that's that.
-Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great news!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Cool But seriously--show us the shoe!!

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Well, sometimes you finish things on schedule and sometimes you don't. I hit it out of the park in October with the preliminary work to the dining room, but as for finishing the living room by Christmas.....not gonna come close. Much of it has to do strictly with finances...I've always broken down the room reno process into three distinct time periods:
Demolition, reconstruction, and final finishing. The first two are super cheap. The final trimming out, not so much. I have gotten a lot farther but still have to plunk down some serious coin for the crown moldings, wall paper, hardware and a nice area rug. So it will be finished over the next couple months as money permits. I hate falling behind schedule, but staying out of debt is a priority for me. It will all work out in the long term. Now I'm going to retreat downstairs to do some free work...filling the hundreds of nail holes in the paneling and trim!
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Wow - I had forgotten how much incredible work you have done on your house. The quality of your work is excellent, as is your one room at a time from start to finish approach.

Hey - do you have any more pics of your foyer with the double doors and transoms ? I am also very curious about your front door and sidelights with the stained glass. More pics, more pics !