hello from the Upper Peninsula

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
shambles
Just Arrived

hello from the Upper Peninsula

Post by shambles »

Hi - I bought an old house a year ago!

I started this hello in the fall but it became long-winded, going off on how I came to buy a house (first & probably last), why I like mine so much, previous ideas to build my own 'hippie house', what I've done thus far & have planned, etc. ...

So I shortened it and maybe will add that other stuff later. The percolated coffee had its way over too many weekends and late nights I guess. But I love my new house so much it's hard to not ramble on about it, and this became my 'house manifesto'; a writing exercise that has helped me clarify my philosophy to myself, always useful.

I've been reading this and other 'old house' web stuff for a year or so now (books longer) and maybe should've posted here earlier with hello & thanks & questions, but didn't since most every question I had I was able to find answers to (albeit sometimes after lengthy struggle all over the web and books though I have a little restoration carpentry experience from years ago summer college work). All this study & DIY is great fun and as they say great for the mind to learn new things.

I hope this group stays active since like mcmansions and particle board 'furniture', I avoid facebook and all that. The 'old fashioned' web forums are by far a better format with the benefit of less damage to intelligence & democracy!

My old house:

I bought it a year ago and this is my first and last house; the only house I hope to have ever bought (not only because I hope to not deal with any more real estate agents, but because it's just right for me!).

Here's one photo taken in first snow this fall.
This is a side that still needs paint! I've got better pix including fun 360°+ multi-season panoramas I'll post on my own website and link here if anybody interested since they're bigger in pixels & filesize than possible here.

It's an 1890 house (added onto from initial footprint until ca.1930); it's that 'standard' old house type here and most other places I've been in the Midwest, yet weirdly ignored in most 'house style' guides but sometimes called tri-gabled ell, or more generically 'farmhouse' or 'homestead' or 'temple' style (tri-gabled ell is best since it is exactly that; two intersecting 2 storey wings with N, E, & W gables).
Practical, sturdy, expandable, and frugal.

After I bought it, it took me months and months of trying to figure out what 'style' my house was, confused by the few Queen Anne elements of the vintage, but never quite getting a match... It's a wonder to me that was so hard to figure out with so many precisely '3GL' and related 'two gabled' houses making such a huge percentage of midwestern houses that there's not a book on this style.

That's the style of about half the houses in this town and probably more than 75% or more of others built in the Midwest in the 1880-1930 era, built from the wood of the vast forests that were being cut at the time in the area. Even in towns famous for their QAs (such as in Michigan: Marshall, Bay City, Muskegon, or Ludington where I grew up), most of the houses in those towns of the era weren't fancy Queen Annes, but 3GLs or 2G homesteads, but you'd think the opposite from the web and books on old houses. (An earlier house I almost bought had me learning all about 19th century company town houses, another common but oft-ignored 'style'!)

I've moved around a lot for work as a field ecologist so have rented for a long time. I've bought some land, even a cabin, but the thought of borrowing hundreds of thousands of dollars from a bank for decades is so anathema to me that I assumed I'd never be able to have a house of my own.

Let's hear it for the few places where one can still buy a cheap house!

Did I mention I prefer small towns to cities? Mostly for the lack of noise, proximity to big nature, & cheapness even if at the expense of culture and convenience.

In this small eastern Upper Peninsula town of 1500 houses are cheap (few jobs!). My decades of frugality & flexibility (sometimes poverty & sacrifice) piecing together science gigs finally paid off in getting me to the place and job I've wanted since college, and to where the cheap house and my modest salary match!

Also good 'junkshops' here (as in restore, charity shops, 'antiques', etc.) that have constantly provided good materials cheaply for both house work and furnishing to the point I am constantly amazed at how my place seems to me like a 'rich person's house'!

House has beautiful wood floors, trim, doors, etc. inside, yet not so ornate that it's prohibitively expensive or complicated to work on (this thought manifested itself often in last summer's painting, for example). And since hand-built by craftsmen with solid old wood & quality materials - well, anybody on this website knows! And largely unmolested in recent decades (but decently maintained in great shape) so I've got the wood clapboards & windows (with storms and much wavy glass), old plaster, etc.

The layout is fantastic, and doesn't have any of the spatial maladies often attributed to old houses. It has little wasted 'hall' space, great closets, a logical configuration, warm & cozy, etc. Also a great room for my home office since working from home a lot especially in winter.

It seems so far that all the 'big' jobs (roof, foundation, plumbing, electrical main, etc.) are in good shape so the projects I'm doing & imagining over next 10 or so years are all fairly easy, concise, and not horribly expensive plus satisfying with immediate improvement or appearance. Knock on old wood of course. And the 1950s boiler, while still going strong, will be a costly replacement (hopefully in 2-5 years with more efficient) and getting the asbestos off the basement pipes will cost a few thousand more. But most of the 'needs' are smaller, like the exterior clapboard repair & painting I started last summer.

In brief, so far I've done a lot of small jobs like restoring or replacing lighting & electric fixtures (with good old parts, thanks again junkshops!), minor plumbing, pipe insulation, interior trim, etc. plus the big job of (starting) the clapboard repair & exterior painting along with window restoration as I go along (and much help on that especially from this forum). (Actually the first thing I did was add fire extinguishers & new smoke & CO alarms all over!)

Everything's looking great so far. Hoping to finish the painting & most window exteriors next summer. Launching now on some plaster repair as start of converting two (of 3) bedrooms to a library. Also have plans to add brick patio next summer (now needed for the great old cast aluminum garden furniture bought cheaply in the fall!), continue on garden work incl. front rock garden landscape, getting bicycle/work shop set up in garage, etc.

Hmm, has become long winded again already! .. so won't go into 'future projects' .. that are piling up fast as I serendipitously come upon useful & quality bits on the cheap (new kitchen cabinets for example, recently moving up on the schedule after good hardware & cast sink finds...).

/robert, in the village of N___, somewhere in the UP about 50 miles east of beautiful Canada.

Gothichome

Re: hello from the Upper Peninsula

Post by Gothichome »

Robert, welcome once again to the District. We look forward to your progress and seeing how you get on. Nice you found an old house to call home with out breaking the bank. These humble workman’s homes don’t get the credit they deserve, the simplicity and practicality of homes like yours on others here in the District belie the fact that most folks lived in homes of this ilk and may have raised a half dozen children in such homes. It makes them no less grand grand in my view.
Ron

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It's a beaut, We must investigate this! Pictures?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Neighmond, good to see your name back on the board. Shambles, what else do you have to share about your new home, pictures are great, we are not nosy, honest.

shambles
Just Arrived

Post by shambles »

Hi again! Sorry no follow-up... I have been sort of slowly working on a post here just describing what it is I like about my house, and why (and rambling on RE barely related topics). Maybe if there's interest I ought to get that finished...

I've uploaded some pix to the photo area to insert in the above-mentioned slowly progressing post, but got distracted before I could figure out how to do that part...

Not quite sure what you all can see of them, but maybe:
https://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/mem ... ile&u=2492
or:
https://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/gallery/album/131
(accidentally got some pix in the wrong subcategories since a little weird interface- is possible to 'move' from one set to the other - inside/out?)...

I've been getting cheap kicks lately making 370° panoramas in photoshop;one is posted in (below), and have been meaning to add some to my website (since can post big sized;they get trimmed to mini-size on this website).

(that got mini-sized)

By the way, lately I've been flying the free Ukrainian flag & have replaced my two porch lights with yellow & blue lights (the lights 24h, the flag when weather & daylight permits). I added a photo of that too:

(I've got to restore an old wood screen front door also!)

Not anything historically correct, but I lived in Ukraine - and russia and belarus - for years in the 90s & early 2000s as u-grad & graduate student, so a bit freaking out over this (another reason for not posting more) ... as we all should be since putin has directly threatened all of us with nukes. Not good for old houses or other living things!

Two years ago I was flying (at my apartment) the free Belarus white-red-white flag at the time lukashenko with putin's help was smashing anti-dictator protests after yet another falsified election.
(White-red-white was the official Belarus flag, pre-lukashenko, when I lived there 1992-93; lukashenko reinstated the soviet version when he took control in 1994. Good thing I buy flags where I've lived...)

Now we see the price putin charged for lukashenko's rescue: the country.

I see a few Canadians on here so sure you've seen yellow & blue flags on other houses too.
Last edited by shambles on Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Shambles, Canada has a very large Ukrainian diaspora mostly in the prairies. One side of my family actually arrived from Ukraine about 1900. Every small prairie town will have the flag out I would expect, and the making of proper pirogies to raise relief funds.
Ron

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

My Ukrainian friends call them varenyky. Apparently it's a hot button issue as food often is.