1870 House-What Style?

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Catheetiem
Settling in

1870 House-What Style?

Post by Catheetiem »

Good morning!! I made my first post a couple days ago when I found lead in the floors of our new house. Now that I have the time, I'm introducing myself and my house! Also asking for some advice as I have no idea what style my house is. Pictures are linked at the bottom :)

I'm in Southwest Connecticut. The town lists the house as built 1870; the original deed is dated 1876. The house was sold by a company that operated a big factory in town to an employee of the factory, for $1. In the deed it stipulates that the company will take the house back if the owner sells liquor on the premises!
The factory also built a number of other houses in the area and on the same street. The house next door is very similar in layout and was built at the same time, but slightly smaller and with original finishes that are not quite as nice. (That house has been updated and restored beautifully, and is currently much nicer than ours. However, comparing the original features in ours to the original features in their's, ours was built with slightly nicer doors, hardware, foundation, etc).

The original owner was an employee of the company, and subsequent owners have also been workers in the factory. Comparing census records and deeds for nearby houses, the entire area was basically populated by factory employees. There are also a few older farmhouses mixed in that date from before the factory. I think that this house was kind of mid-grade. It's nicer than some, has some nicer touches here and there, but not as nice as a lot of others! Up through the 50s, every owner I can find (and there is a period from 1880-1930 that I'm missing-will be visiting town to look at their paper records but just too busy working on the house atm) was an employee of the factory. One was a shipping clerk, others were listed as just "employee at x company" so don't know their title unfortunately.

Going off town records, I believe the house was in pretty poor shape when the most recent owners bought it in 1992. They fixed it up and used it as a rental from 1993/4-ish until now. The town still has their permit records, so I know that over the period of a year or so they replaced the window sashes, did big layout changes in the downstairs and completely reconfigured the upstairs. They replaced the staircase and I believe changed the footprint of it as well. They dug a new well, added new insulation, drywall, plumbing, and electrical. They added two baths to the house (added one upstairs where the was none, and moved the other from off the kitchen to more in the center of the house). They removed the front door of the house, which we are still trying to figure out how to cover up the empty hole (visually, not literally!) that's left there. Our current thinking is to extend the porch out a bit to kind of hide it, but that's for way down the road.

So, here are some pictures of the house! I'm having trouble identifying what style the house is! The listing listed it as "colonial revival" but I don't know that they had anything to base that off of other than the listing agent's opinion. Any help in identifying the style would be really appreciated as I would like to try to keep our changes/renovations to fit with the house.

We have a lot planned, so I'm sure I'll be here asking for help over and over again. Already just reading through previous posts has been so helpful!

Link to the album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/512vMZbAPq8DTqG96

Please excuse the furniture/things in the fall pictures at the beginning, the old tenants were still living there. The pictures are in various stages of the work we've done so far.

CleavesHouse
Just Arrived

Re: 1870 House-What Style?

Post by CleavesHouse »

I guess I would classify your house as "American Vernacular" -- it's a "basic house," a form that has persisted from the 18th century to today. The Old House journal, March 1982, describes a post-victorian style that they call the "Homestead House," basically a full two-story version of what you have. Of course the timing of yours, built in 1870, is early in era of the Victorian styles, so doesn't fit their timeline. It is in some ways a lot like my house, a basic house built in 1862 but which has clear Greek Revival styling. It's also sort of like my previous house, another basic house built in 1870, with a sort of "Folk Victorian" style.
Last edited by CleavesHouse on Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'm with Cleaves and prefer the Folk Victorian moniker because it suggests the presence of some of that ornamentation. To me (and possibly no one else), "vernacular" hints at a local style.

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

CleavesHouse wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:39 pm I guess I would classify your house as "American Vernacular" -- it's a "basic house," a form that has persisted from the 18th century to today. The Old House journal, March 1982, describes a post-victorian style that they call the "Homestead House," basically a full two-story version of what you have. Of course the timing of yours, built in 1870, is early in era of the Victorian styles, so doesn't fit their timeline. It is in some ways a lot like my house, a basic house built in 1862 but which has clear Greek Revival styling. It's also sort of like my previous house, another basic house built in 1870, with a sort of "Folk Victorian" style.
Thanks so much! That Old House Journal article is a great find, it's definitely pretty descriptive of what we have...so I guess I have a little more free rein, as there wasn't any particular way the house would have been decorated/finished, really more up to the owner's taste and what they could afford. Oh no, the options!!! :-o

And oh, I always thought the house was a full two story! What differentiates ours from a full two story?

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

Manalto wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:44 pm I'm with Cleaves and prefer the Folk Victorian moniker because it suggests the presence of some of that ornamentation. To me (and possibly no one else), "vernacular" hints at a local style.
Hahaha I'll agree it sounds a bit nicer. I'm planning on trying to reach out to the sellers at some point soon to find out anything they know about the way the house looked and the history of it. If that doesn't yield anything, there is a relative of an owner from the early 20th century who still lives in town. They're all into genealogy and have their while family tree posted online, so I might try contacting her and seeing if she might know anything. I've heard that sometimes victorian-looking parts of houses were taken off as the ornate style fell out of fashion, so I'm curious if anything like that might have happened here and might be able to find out one way or the other from one of them.

CleavesHouse
Just Arrived

Post by CleavesHouse »

Catheetiem wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:51 pm And oh, I always thought the house was a full two story! What differentiates ours from a full two story?
Oh, my mistake -- I had it in my head that it was a storey-and-a-half (like mine), but on review of your photos again, yours does appear to be a full two stories. Sorry!

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

CleavesHouse wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Catheetiem wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:51 pm And oh, I always thought the house was a full two story! What differentiates ours from a full two story?
Oh, my mistake -- I had it in my head that it was a storey-and-a-half (like mine), but on review of your photos again, yours does appear to be a full two stories. Sorry!
Oh, no worries! I'm new to a lot of house-related terminology, so I figured I just got it wrong haha!!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Cathee and Cleaves, one of the posters has a home a bit older than yours, maybe a bit more defined as to style.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157&start=180
His home has been restored to period, he has done a lot of work but it might give you some inspiration, both your homes probably were not white when first built.
The link is to his last posting, you can go back in time one page at a time
Ron

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Catheetiem wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm I've heard that sometimes victorian-looking parts of houses were taken off as the ornate style fell out of fashion, so I'm curious if anything like that might have happened here and might be able to find out one way or the other from one of them.
Victorian details were often also added to earlier houses of simpler design - and sometimes left on even when that style faded. Those who restore houses sometimes choose a point in its evolution to "return" it to, not necessarily the date of its original construction.

Examples abound of historical house restorations that do either: show its transformation over time, or restore to its appearance when new. Both methods can be interesting, informative, and beautiful if done right.

Catheetiem
Settling in

Post by Catheetiem »

Gothichome wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm Cathee and Cleaves, one of the posters has a home a bit older than yours, maybe a bit more defined as to style.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157&start=180
His home has been restored to period, he has done a lot of work but it might give you some inspiration, both your homes probably were not white when first built.
The link is to his last posting, you can go back in time one page at a time
Ron
Haha that's so funny, I'm opened up that thread yesterday and started reading through! And yeah, he does some incredible work that is definitely giving me a lot of ideas.