1937 Icelandic Summer Cottage

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Thoracius
Just Arrived

1937 Icelandic Summer Cottage

Post by Thoracius »

Hello.

I recently took over my family summer cottage. My great-grandparents had it built in 1937, and lived there and raised my grandma and her siblings for roughly the warmer 6 months of every year. It is perhaps not so old, but for some context, Iceland had an extended "dark ages" which it didn't begin to exit until the World Wars. Many people still lived with their livestock in the traditional stone and turf ("bricks" cut out of root-rich bog mud) huts. Wood framed houses were fairly new.

I feel very fortunate for the time I spent with my great-grandma here during my childhood, and to have gotten her perspective. She lived through such changes! I also feel fortunate to now have a chance to save their house. It's a wonderful place, with wonderful character, in a wonderful setting. We have a large stream with waterfalls. A forest my great grandpa planted, and nothing but mountainous countryside in three directions. It's a place for appreciating nature and a simple life.

Unfortunately over the past couple+ decades it has fallen into a bit of disrepair. It was quite expensive, and tradespeople here are quite expensive (if you can even get them to find time to come out), so I'm taking it upon myself to do as much as I can. My aim is to repair and largely restore it, or at least keep any needed changes in the spirit of the architecture/style/period/ethos. However, it's quite hard to figure out what "style" it is. For Iceland it is quite unique. Not many people at the time had the means to build such a large, timber-clad summer cottage. (Most old summer cottages here are quite a bit smaller.) I've been doing a lot of research on how old houses were built, and I've discovered that many of the details on this house are different than the norm -- at least very different than American houses, which most of the documentation I can find is about.
1.jpg
1.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
You can see in the middle picture, it was built on a timber frame foundation/basement. I've been told that this was not unusual for Iceland at this time. As I understand it, it wasn't until a bit later that a semi-proper foundation wall was built out of concrete partition blocks, which the house rests on now.

In the third picture you can see the newly built house. One interesting detail I haven't seen much of is that the gable overhang is beveled such that there is more overhang at the ridge than at the eves. I'm not sure if there is a technical term for that? It's a detail I like a lot, and I'm surprised more houses do not have.

Another somewhat unique detail is that the siding under the gables is board-on-board. There is also no bottom trim. At the top the trim is just a board sitting in front of the board-on-board. The garage's siding is also board-on-board. I guess this is more common in Scandinavia, but rare in the US.

The windows are a bit different than I've seen on most old houses. The mullions/muntins or whatever they're called are quite beefy and just have a simple bevel to them. The vertical ones are bigger, and the horizontal ones about half that size. The panes are held in with thin beveled wood trim with a nice reveal, which I think looks a lot nicer than putty-glazed windows.

The exterior window casing sits in front of (rather than butted to) the clapboard siding.

The chimney is also a bit strange. It is not brick. There is no clay liner. It appears to be made out of the same concrete partition blocks as the foundation walls. Just a big open cavity all the way up. It goes down into the basement where there is a (not the original one, but old nonetheless) coal boiler, which we use wood in. It heats an anti-freeze mix that thermosiphons through radiators throughout the house. That works fine. It also is supposed to transfer heat to the hot water tank, but that does not work so well.

The clapboard siding of the house continues to form a fence around the back porch.
gestir i hlid.jpg
gestir i hlid.jpg (145.22 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
In these photos you can see the original asbestos tile roof. In the 1970s this was replaced with the current corrugated steel roof, which is the most common roofing (and siding) material in Iceland and has been so for a good hundred years. I've been looking into what kind of roofing material I could source to approximate the look of the original roofing. Everything available locally that's imported from mainland Europe costs multiples what corrugated steel roof costs. I've found a Canadian company that will ship me steel interlocking diamond-shaped shingles at a somewhat reasonable total price, so that's what I'm leaning towards. Will probably take the opportunity to insulate the roof from the exterior, which will add at least 5 inches of height. Still figuring that out. I think slightly increasing the overhang at the eves would look nice. The "attic" is finished with two bedrooms and a hallway. There is currently no insulation, and no room to insulate the roof from inside. There's no headroom to spare, and the rafters in the finished areas are encased in nice wood, which is a nice design element.

It looks like there are wood planks at the rake on the top of the roof tiles. Anybody know what that detail is called and seen other examples? I've seen a couple other examples, but no info. I'm guessing it's not a very durable architectural detail?

The porch wall seen in the upper picture has since had the middle section totally removed, opening it up, and the wood porch has been replaced with pavers.

The white tents in the background of the second picture are British troops, who were occupying Iceland at the time in the early 1940s.
2.jpg
2.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Today this view is obscured by trees. My grandma once told me there used to be eels in this pond.
3.jpg
3.jpg (13.07 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
vlcsnap-2020-10-19-21h33m11s648.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-10-19-21h33m11s648.jpg (178.26 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
The greenhouse now sits in shaded in a forest. The glass was long ago replaced with fiberglass has aged such that it doesn't let very much light through any way.

Here you can see electrical poles, so at this point they have electricity. Originally they did not.

Water comes from a gravity-fed spring well higher up on the mountainside. In 80 years it's never gone dry.
vlcsnap-2020-10-19-21h30m12s672.png
vlcsnap-2020-10-19-21h30m12s672.png (558.87 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Here you can kind of see the old basement door.
6.jpg
6.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
By the 1980s the back porch was no longer fenced in. The roofing has been changed.
P1160628.jpg
P1160628.jpg (318.48 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
Fast-forward to near present day. This is the condition of the house when I took over.

Fortunately, most of it is still all original. The siding is original. The windows, though some quite weathered, are original (minus panes which have been replaced).

You can see the flagstone pathway. My great-grandpa collected those and pieced it together. It goes almost all the way around the house.

I've since applied a coat of pine tar linseed oil mixture to the clapboard. I'm also using linseed paints for the windows.
P1070885.jpg
P1070885.jpg (367.26 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
This side of the house (southeast) takes a beating.

The yellow siding under the gable here is unfortunately thoroughly rotted and eaten and needs to be replaced. I intend to change some details to allow for 1 inch blanket of rock wool insulation and a 12mm air gap with better ventilation/drainage details behind the siding. Because new boards are thinner than the original stuff, I should be able to do this and still end up flush with the window casing.

The horizontal member (muntin?) on the window on the right was unfortunately rotted, but I've just successfully fabricated a replacement.

In the late 90s while doing some foundation repair, the area outside the basement door was excavated and this awkward concrete retaining wall was added to make room for a wood deck outside the basement door.
Last edited by Thoracius on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Re: 1937 Icelandic Summer Cottage

Post by Gothichome »

Thoricuis, welcome to the district, that’s an interesting story and unique location being Iceland. Your summer cottage looks very similar to many summer cottages built in Canada during the 20’s through to the 50’s.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I wonder what the guy in the pic is doing , maybe he's got a metal detector or might be shooting moles? the surrounding area looks unchanged. It seems so peaceful , is there a lot of population there?

i like the brown and orange. My house has a lot of orange that is similar. Its not the most popular color, which I like.

it would be interesting to know more about the linseed oil paint. how does it compare with price and do you like using it? where did you source it from?
Phil

Thoracius
Just Arrived

Post by Thoracius »

> Your summer cottage looks very similar to many summer cottages built in Canada during the 20’s through to the 50’s.

Can you think of any examples? I'd love to see.

> I wonder what the guy in the pic is doing

That's an older lady who always lived with my great-grandparents, and she's raking hay. Part of the original purchase contract stipulated that groceries be purchased from the farmer who sold my grandparents the land, and I understand my grandparents had an arrangement that they could barter hay for milk from the farmer. My impression is that this was a lifestyle choice, as they owned a fabrics store and undoubtedly had the cash flows to buy milk. But I think they just valued the simple life, spending time outdoors, and making their land productive.

> the surrounding area looks unchanged.

Iceland 80 years ago was pretty much devoid of trees thanks to deforestation by the Vikings, a millennium of sheep grazing, and a harsh climate. My great-grandpa was an avid tree planter, so the property is now quite wooded by Icelandic standards. Due to the short summer season here, it's taken 80 years to grow what might take 15 or 20 in the States. The area on three sides of the property is mountainside used for horse grazing, so that is pretty much unchanged. My great-grandparents chose this area so they could be secluded. But since then a small town (population 12,000) has grown in what used to be just farmland between our property and the sea. We're also only a 20 minute drive from Reykjavik (the capital of Iceland).

> it would be interesting to know more about the linseed oil paint. how does it compare with price and do you like using it? where did you source it from?

I love using it. There are no solvents, so no smell (besides a subtle smell of flax and pigments). I'm sensitive to chemicals and get migraines, so this is big for me. Also no solvents means it goes a lot further, since half of it doesn't evaporate. It's slow drying, which has its benefits and but also means you have to wait longer between coats. As for cost, it is more expensive by the liter, but also covers more area. Supposedly, according to their marketing materials, that makes it cheaper per sq ft. But I couldn't say. It's also supposed to last longer because linseed oil is penetrating and because you can just rejuvenate the paint once it starts chalking with more linseed oil. Again, I've yet to see.

I got a handful of different base colors and have been mixing them to come up with the colors I like. Mixing "zinc white" and "antique gold" for example, I can match the old cream and tan colors used on the window interiors. For the shades of green, I'm mixing "chrome oxide" (green) and "antique gold" and then either white or black to push it either lighter or darker. Since the colors are made using pure pigments, they match the hues of antique paints.

One of the paints stores here carries Allback Linseed Oil Paints. If you're in the US, there's a company called "Earth and Flax" that imports the high-quality old-timey linseed oil products. Their youtube channel has been a help.

Thoracius
Just Arrived

Post by Thoracius »

P1200068.jpg
P1200068.jpg (348.21 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
It snowed for a couple days last week. Yes, snow in September.

I've started putting in an exterior french drain on this side. The footer and base of foundation have been tarred; drain tile is in below slab level with proper drop; and there's a dimpled membrane -- but the base of the foundation wall still has a few areas that are permanently wet. Seems to be wicking up from the bedrock below.
IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0286.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
The windows are all original, many are still in great shape, especially considering they haven't been maintained in a couple decades and the wet climate we have here. I really like the reveal detail on the glazing trim.
IMG_9113.jpg
IMG_9113.jpg (185.92 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Precursor to "Great Stuff." Amazing that this window "insulation" hasn't rotted away in 80 years.
IMG_8747.jpg
IMG_8747.jpg (143.48 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Interior hasn't had any modern-era renovations. Even the furniture is all original. Much of it is "built-in."
P1140864.jpg
P1140864.jpg (247.6 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Stove predates the house. My great-great-grandma bought it during the cold winter of 1918.

Anybody in Europe have any recommendations for tasteful replacements to the white plastic electrical outlets?

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Some of the large German manufacturers do gloss black switches and sockets, although in modern style (I'm fairly certain Jung does, I know Siemens does and there might be more). THPG sells round bakelite accessories at a steep price but they're reasonable replicas of 1930s designs. Schneider Renova (fairly popular in Sweden) is somewhere in between design-wise, I'd say retro rather than historic, but more affordable than THPG. If you want to go completely over the top, check out Fontini! Their offerings are more suitable for Italian palazzi and Victorian terraced houses than for a cottage in Iceland though.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thoracius, sorry for the late reply for pictures, I really had a hard time to find cottages that have not been upgraded. But I did find this YouTube video of an abandoned rental village. If you can see past there current condition you can see why I saw the similarities.

https://youtu.be/JFSoDoW594A

Texas, good to see you posting.
Ron