Retriever Ridge

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Retriever Ridge

Post by mjt »

Last week all but two of the windows were installed, along with the back door frame (with temporary construction door).

Rough electrical is 95% done.

Rough plumbing has started and the tub has arrived.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Since my last update: the last couple of windows arrived & were installed (not sure what the delay was as they were all ordered at the same time and are made in the Anderson plant 20 minutes up the road...), mechanical rough-ins were completed, drywall, mud & tape, and primer. Faux-brick entry tile removed and wood floor laid in the entry and hallway to match the great room. The wood floor (both new and old) was (re)finished with a darker stain and the first couple of coats of finish applied. Double-sided fireplace was installed in the owner's suite. Exterior stonework was completed, plus the concrete for the front walk and back stoop.

Supposedly this week: in-floor heat for the owner's bath and tile work will start in the 3 bathrooms.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Photos to go along with the update:

The dome in the owner's suite (before mud/tape) will be the home of the chandelier we liberated from Farrington. It was originally the chandelier in SWMBO's grandfather's house so it has some emotional value. This photo also shows the missing windows post-installation.

The exterior stone (when installation was in progress) with one of the property's namesakes photobombing me. Also shown is the concrete on the front walk.

Lastly, this photo shows the new darker stain on the wood floors. The floors are red oak with a dark, almost chocolate, stain. Most of the floor has been covered with a protective mat for the remainder of the construction.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

MJ, a dome, what made you think’ I think a domed ceiling would look good just about here’? On one of my tips to China one of th hotels had a domed ceiling in the lobby, it must have had a slight parabola shape, when you talked to the counter person your voice bounced back to you a split second after speaking an interesting experience.

mjt

Post by mjt »

The perspective of the photo is a little deceiving. The dome is pretty much in the center of the room which puts it roughly at the foot of the bed. So not a lot of additional thought went into choosing the location.

The reason for a dome was to get enough ceiling height to be able to use the chandelier in this room.

My MIL has an oval dome above her dining room table. When you're at the head of the table, it makes it much easier to hear the person at the far end.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

An interesting solution for fo mounting a large chandelier. Also it adds. Bit of architectural interest to the room. It must have been n interesting challenge for the dry wallers, and the framers.

mjt

Post by mjt »

The framers had an easy time of it because it was engineered off site and came as a "kit". The trick was planning far enough ahead because the trusses had to be engineered to accommodate it.

I'm sure it was challenging for the drywallers. Same for the mud/taping crew. And the sander. All were different people, which I found interesting.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Lots happening since my last update. Dual-sided fireplace with mantel and stone, bedroom side. Image

And bathroom side, with installed linen closets sans doors. Image

Painters have been grinding on base, case, and doors and have divided the house into 3 chunks: bedrooms/hall, great room/kitchen, and the rest (pantry, laundry, study). All the doors are done, as is the base/case in chunk 1. Base/case should be getting shot today in chunk 2. Image

And wall color started yesterday on chunk 1. Image

Some more plumbing fixtures have arrived which probably means the countertops aren't far behind. And based on the questions I'm getting, the tile guys are back on site...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, it’s coming along nicely. Gas fireplace? With all that fire wood stacked I thought for sure you would have gone for wood.

mjt

Post by mjt »

SWMBO wanted a gas fireplace in the owner's suite. Being able to start/stop a fire with a touch of a button has its appeal.

We have the wood burner in the great room and will have something near the pool when we do that work this summer. The cost of an outdoor fireplace is hard to justify, so we're looking at other options (i.e., stone fire pit).