Retriever Ridge

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Retriever Ridge

Post by mjt »

We have a tractor with a front bucket, so I suppose we could use that to clear snow. If we got winter diesel. The tractor is old and a little finicky though.
We also have a 42" snowthrower attachment for the lawn tractor; with tire chains and suitcase weights. It was working before I swapped it for the mower deck. With significant snow, that could take a while.
And the little Toro single stage I had at the previous house. If we had a sidewalk, it might be suitable for only that. Since we don't, it's not. I'll probably donate it to my brother.

Best part is we've already reached out to the local snow removal service that the previous owner used. And we're on his list! We live in Minnesnowta after all...

mjt

Post by mjt »

The roof trusses were delivered late last week and foundation excavation for the addition is scheduled to start next week.

Therefore I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend getting ready. Mostly transplanting various shrubs and perennials from where the excavation will be happening. I also moved a bunch of the brick edging and walks so that it doesn't get mangled during the excavation. There's a mish-mash of edging now and we're planning to use the brick as edging for all the beds. I also started removing the deck boards. I plan to re-use them for a platform on the back side of the barn so we can move the firewood back there. If the deck framing is in reasonable shape, I may try to re-use it as well instead of buying new stuff for a king's ransom. The railings and ballusters were not in the greatest condition.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Out of curiosity, does any of the brick have old factory stamping?

If we do ever move the side door, I'm hoping we can salvage some (ideally most) of the materials to the side overhang and small porch. I hope most of the wood turns out to be sound from your decking.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt

Post by mjt »

A few of the brick have markings, but most do not. For the ones that have them, the markings are on one end of the brick rather than the face or top of the paver.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Neat! I haven't seen as many with the end stamps. Thank you for the photo. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt

Post by mjt »

The ones with markings have straight sides. The unmarked ones all have a pair of "keys" along one side. When you pair up the keys on two adjacent pavers, they lock together. Like so:
(photo of bricks stacked neatly in the John Deere trailer on which I just repaired the flat tire)

mjt

Post by mjt »

Foundations for the additions went in this week.

Front. Now that the block is in, it's easier to see the outline of the bedroom expansion vs the porch.

Back. It's now easier to see the outline of the bedroom vs where the "pool" bathroom will be.

mjt

Post by mjt »

The roof is done and electrical rough-in has started.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, will you be finished in time for winter?

mjt

Post by mjt »

Last time we talked schedule, they were thinking December. I'm not holding my breath. In 1991 we got almost 3 feet of snow in the "Halloween Blizzard", so it's hard to say from year to year when winter starts around here...

Last week we received an email from the plumbing supplier. The tub and one of the toilets are out of stock. 4-6 month wait, so we changed to items that are in stock and look similar. I'm sure that won't be the last time that supply chain issues pop up.